[Cynnabar] BoC Meeting Minutes for the 01/14/13 meeting

Cynnabar Seneschal boc.seneschal at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 22:59:24 CST 2013

So, your illustrious Seneschal just realized that he tends to try to put
something clever at the start of the meeting minutes as well. That means
you, dear reader, get inflicted with double the amount of his attempts to be
entertaining. So that can be around 60 times this year! I’ll leave it up to
you to determine if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

So, if you were not at tonight’s business meeting, (the first of the year
mind you!), you missed: Discussions! Food! Discussions! Drinks! Discussions!
Laughter! And even more discussions (some of them even productive!)! I know
that my written minutes below cannot hope to encompass the thrilling nature
of being at a business meeting live, but put on some dramatic up-tempo
music, grab a favorite drink of your choice and read on
.

-Finn

Seneschal

We had 20 super awesome people in attendance.

Event and Demo Reports

Nicola’s books holiday gift wrapping  –  More wrapping was done and we have
received more donations (around $260 but exact figure to come later). Was a
good time by those who helped and it is also noted that this is very good
exposure for us as well.

Cynnabar Holiday Gift Exchange (Dec. 17th)  – Fun was had by all.

Pentamere 12th Night – Fun. Dancing. Singing. Nice classes.

Regular Event in Cleftlands – Good event.

Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos

Terpsichore (April. 6th, 2013)  – Still has some slots open for instructors.

St. Cecilia at the Tower Event (May 18th, 2013) – Check postings from Jadzia
for details on for looking for interest in a Beginning Musician Bootcamp.

Old Business

Muslin for costume shop budget proposal – Muslin has been delivered.
Mistress Milisant would like to “add an official Thank You from the EMU
Costume Shop for the donation of muslin”.

Thrown Weapons practice (proposal) – 3rd discussion of our 3 meeting
discussion/approval process: (APPROVED!) It is being brought forth to the
group to officially sponsor a thrown weapons practice for the Barony. The
practices will be run by warranted thrown weapon marshals, however, we do
not need an “official group marshal” for us to sponsor/support these
practices. If Cynnabar agrees to support these practice, then they fall
under the normal rules (and legal protection) as other SCA practices that
are announced and supported be the group. No one had any objections to
Cynnabar sponsoring these practices.

UoM Student group – From Birke: “I just got confirmed info from 10 students
a couple days ago, so I'm going to try and get the group registered within a
week or two. That being the case, Winterfest probably won't be happening.
Once we get the group registered, though, we can design flyers to post
around the school and figure out a Mass Meeting day and post flyers
everywhere for that.” Sir Gregoire noted that we have not done much
recruiting in the past as we always seem to have to scramble to get enough
student/signatures for the student group. This was also discussed at some
recent meetings as well with one of the things to start being doing a
coordinated effort of flyers and a mini-demo/mass meeting at one of the
Thursday night fencing practices. As this should (will) be an ongoing
effort, we will keep this on our meeting discussion agenda for the
foreseeable future.

Fixing loaner leg armor (placeholder only, not under active discussion) –

New Business

Proposed event: Spring Revel (April 28th Sunday) – 1st discussion of our 3
meeting discussion/approval process. This is our annual Baronial Armored and
Rapier Champion Tournament, potluck, revel held at Island Park. There is a
$162 rental fee (which includes an alcohol permit) which we are looking to
approve.

Proposed event: 12th night 2014 (Jan. 4th, 2014) – 1st discussion of our 3
meeting discussion/approval process. Baroness Giovanna has offered to be the
Event Steward (Simcha has previously mentioned interest in being Event
Steward as well, so Finn and Giovanna are following up with her too). We
would consider using the same site as this year’s Pentamere 12th night, but
alter the layout/function of things so the event flows better. One big
advantage to this site is that site cost is based on number of people that
show up as they take $4 for each person who comes in the door.  This means
that even with low turnout we should not lost much (if any) money based on
site rental fees. The other piece of the discussion was the date. No one had
any issues with Jan 4th, 2014 either.  Sir Gregoire may be the
Tomfoolery-o-crat. The full financial budget will be discussed/approved as a
separate item. For now the group is looking to approve/support Cynnabar
hosting Pentamere Regional 12th Night at the Hidden Springs Church in
Howell, MI.

Proposed event: Grand Tournament (Nov. 16th) – 1st discussion of our 3
meeting discussion/approval process. Lady Godaeth has offered to be the
Event Steward (along with Aeffe) for Grand Tournament this year. The
proposal brought forth is for support for the site and date so we can get it
on the Kingdom Calendar as soon as possible. The date proposed is Nov. 16th.
No one had any objections to this date as it is clear on the Kingdom
Calendar as of now. However, to ensure that we do not end up in conflict
with other Pentamere Regional groups, Finn will contact the other group
Seneschals to see if any of their group happen to be planning on events on
that same date to make sure we are in the clear. The proposed site is the
Liberty School in Saline, MI (same site as we hosted Coronation). Discussion
was held about use and functionality of the site, including concerns over
floor covering for fighting and space needs/utilization. Prices was also
discussed. Part of that discussion is the conditional approval of spending
up to $500 for the site deposit, as long as it is confirmed that it is fully
refundable. No showstoppers were brought up. Godaeth will bring back a full
budget proposal for a separate approval discussion/process. So for now,
everyone seemed OK with Cynnabar looking to support this event site, date
and deposit to hold the site.

Announcements

-          From Sir Gregoire: there can be 15-25 new people at practice. So
if you can please show up to help.

-          From Lady Godaeth: There are plans in the works for the opening
of the archery range around the end of March or the beginning of April.

-          From H.E. Tairdelbach: Fighter’s Retreat is scheduled for 30th.
Check out his e-mail on this for more details

-          From H.E. Tairdelbach: There will be a Fencers Dinner at the
Classic Cup Café starting at 7:PM on Thursday, Feb. 7th.

-          From Forester Grey: Shaft order going out soon.

-          From Baroness Giovanna: Kelsey Museum trip set. Lots of fun. If
you are planning on coming, please come early as it is also the same time
another campus activity.

-          From Lord Johannes: It’s someone’s birthday on this Wednesday.
(Note: Johannes never said who.)

-          From Lady Godaeth: “Don’t you dare!” (Looking and Johannes as he
was making his announcement.)

Note from the Seneschal: I’ll leave you, gentle reader, to draw your own
conclusions from the above two announcements.