[Cynnabar] FW: News from the Pennsic Mayor, please share

Cynnabar Seneschal boc.seneschal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 18:11:36 CDT 2013

Forwarding as requested.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pennsic Mayor <pennsic.mayor at gmail.com
<mailto:pennsic.mayor at gmail.com> >
Date: 7 June 2013 21:22
Subject: News from the Pennsic Mayor, please share

Greetings to the Kingdom Seneschals of the Known World,

I respectfully ask that you forward this email to the seneschals of your
Kingdoms that they may share it with their populace who may be attending
this year's Pennsic War. There are a number of changes this year and we want
to make sure that no one is caught unaware by them. Many are happy changes.
Some will require adaptation. Pennsic Staff thanks everyone for their
understanding.

New for Pennsic 42:

*	VERY IMPORTANT: You must register online by June 9th at 11 pm on the
Coopers Lake site (www.cooperslake.com <http://www.cooperslake.com> ) if you
want your registration to count for your groups land allotment.
*	NOTE: Pennsic is running one week earlier than in previous years:
from July 20th (Troll does open at noon on July 19th, but no one can come on
site or set up until after Land Grab which begins at 8 am on July 20th).
Site closes at NOON on Saturday, August 3rd (you should plan to be off site
by then).
*	Good News: The Bridge that was out last year has been replaced and
is now two lanes. Bad News: There is road construction on I-79 between 422
and 108 until July 26th that may cause slow downs. Check traffic maps if you
generally arrive from the north or south on I-79.
*	Troll will be open 24/7 on weekends, but Troll will be closed from
midnight until 6 am, Monday to Thursday of both weeks of Pennsic. You may
want to plan your arrival accordingly. (See the Cooper's Lake Pennsic
Registration website for more info.) If you arrive when Troll is closed you
will be directed to park on the Battlefield and will have to wait in your
car until Troll opens. There will be Porta-Johns nearby.
*	Good News: The Barn has been converted to an expanded Camp Store and
has added a full time restaurant. The new camp store will carry supplies
from Lowe's as well as local fresh fruit and vegetables. More good news: All
the activities previously held in the Barn will be held in the new Great
Hall, a 165' x 65' foot structure the Coopers have build on the west side of
block N01 in the Serengeti.
*	As in previous years there is NO using electrical outlets in any
Cooper building or Pennsic facility for charging (cell phones, laptops
etc.). Good News: if you are volunteering at a Pennsic point, you may be
allowed to charge your cell phone while you are doing your volunteer shift.
If you have a medical need for use of electricity check with Disability
Services.
*	Good News: There is a new well to support the increased demand for
water, and all water at Cooper's Lake is now chlorinated for your safety.
Bad news: there is still iron in the water, and it still turns brown, but it
is just iron and will not hurt you. More good news: the Coopers are building
an expanded water treatment facility that will also filter out the iron, but
that will not cover the entire campground yet. Stay tuned for next year.
*	VERY IMPORTANT NEWS: any group or individual that leaves their
campsite trashed after Pennsic will lose their land seniority! Over the last
few years the number of campsites that have been left trashed (furniture
abandoned, ground littered, trenches and pits not filled in, and even fires
left burning) has been growing. Please leave your site as good or better
than you found it! Your whole group will be penalized if the land is left a
mess.
*	Because Pennsic is closing down one day earlier than in previous
years, most all activities are moving up one day earlier: Classes start on
Tuesday of Peace Week, Opening Ceremonies are on Saturday the 27th, Combat
begins on Sunday of War Week. Nonessential Pennsic facilities will begin
closing on the last Thursday evening/Friday morning. Plan your last night
parties for Thursday or Friday night. Everyone must leave site on Saturday.
Good News: you have an extra day to get home and unpack.

I know these seem like a lot of changes, and that most people resist change.
Over the 29 years that I have been attending Pennsics, I have seen this
event grow and change considerably. The Serengeti was once a cornfield and
the battles were on Runestone Hill, then it became a parking lot, later it
was the battlefield, now it is camping space. Once upon a time classes were
only held in the main bath house, now we have an entire university. Pennsic
has weathered and adapted and grown to be the largest event in the Known
World, and as we continue to grow and adapt we will likely have more
changes. I think we get better and better each year with each change.
Especially when we can all work together to make the magic that is Pennsic.

I wish you all a happy and safe Pennsic; the Pennsic Staff and I will do our
utmost to make it so. I look forward to seeing you all in July--old friends,
and new friends, and friends not yet met.

Yours in Service,

Chai

--
Chai'usun