[Cynnabar] SCA Demo Request/Information

Kell Carnahan via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Wed Aug 20 01:23:25 UTC 2014

Hello, Baronies of Cynnabar, Roaring Wastes, and Northwoods!

Last May, I successfully organized an SCA rapier demo at Penguicon, a
sci-fi/tech/nerdy-stuff convention.  The rapier fighters who ran the demo
with me all told me that they had a blast running it, and that Penguicon is
"our type of people, and a superb place to demo."  I am looking to organize
more SCA demos - plural, I'll explain in a minute - for Penguicon next
year.  It's April 24-26, 2015, at the Westin Hotel in Southfield, MI (just
north of Detroit).

Why am I putting out information this early?  Because I'm trying to see if
I can organize our Kingdom calendar to not have conflicting events on the
weekend of April 24-26, 2015.  Can we get events such as It Takes My Child
to Raze a Village to be a different weekend?  I've already spoken to a
couple people organizing Terpsichore, who say it will likely be planned for
sometime in March.  Can I help coordinate efforts so any local events are
not the same weekend as Penguicon?

There are several things that make Penguicon ideal for all kinds of SCA
demos:
- Over 1300 nerds attended Penguicon next year - there's a huge pool of
people to pull interested parties out of!
- Penguicon allows FREE ENTRY for those who are purely providing content:
if you want to show up only to put on your demo(s) and then leave, IT'S
FREE.  If you wish to also attend the rest of the convention (which is
awesome), you need to then buy a badge.  (Discounted badges currently for
sale: http://2015.penguicon.org/registration/)
- Penguicon doesn't just have sci-fi and tech classes, but cooking classes,
martial arts classes, crafting classes... it's really open to the entirety
of the nerdy and maker community, which means that *everything* the SCA
does, Penguicon would love classes on!

If we want to, we could organize an entire SCA track of classes at
Penguicon.  We could have SCA dance classes, medieval cooking classes,
fiber arts classes, armored combat and rapier demos, you name it -
Penguicon would probably love it.  I would love to be a point person to
help organize various demos throughout the day (though I will likely only
completely organize the rapier demo - others should be led by other
people), as I am in frequent contact with several of the people running
Penguicon.  Heck - if you're interested in teaching/demoing something you
think might not be possible (specific medieval interest, or requires
outdoor space like blacksmithing), still let me know - I know who to ask to
see if it would work.

Hope this missive meets you well!
~Birke die Jägerin