[Cynnabar] Fwd: Changing the 100 Mile event rule- From KSen, February AS L

Carol Perry Lagemann via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Wed Jan 27 13:37:04 UTC 2016

Here are some of my thoughts. I would love to understand the extent of this
issue better, though, so if anyone notices something I've overlooked,
please point it out.

Responding to Kay's email from 7:45 am:

Can you envision other way that some sort of lottery for dates could level
> the playing field for new events in the months currently dominated by the
> "monolithic legacy events?"  I would like to see that.
> A First Date to book the Calendar might require the calendar secretary to
> evaluate the events asking for the date on MORE than just the distance and
> whose email was first in her inbox.

My suspicion is that if the Calendar Secretary had to choose based on some
criteria other than "who claimed the date first", he or she would be
*more *inclined,
not less, to prefer large legacy events. This might not be a bad thing --
in many cases, it would be more desirable for the large, legacy event to
take precedence. For example, we would not want Grand Day of Tournaments to
be canceled in favor of (as a random example) our neighbors' Baronial
Champions tournament.

It seems like many people want to encourage new, creative events in the
Kingdom. However, giving the Calendar Secretary *carte blanche* to choose
which events he or she liked better, without any direction on how to choose
which events, may not be the way to do this.

What if we gave the Calendar Secretary directions, though? (In other words,
what if the Kingdom had criteria for which events should take precedence?)
Kay's next idea deals with this:

Would a Kingdom level Event Proposal evaluation system encourage groups in
> a region to band together to create better events?
> What if the new Rule included the proviso that a Multi Group proposal for
> an event would win the date?

I hesitate to make this a condition for preference, and here's why:
Although inter-group collaboration on events would be a good thing in many
ways, this would punish groups who prefer to run their own events without
collaboration. Would Cynnabar really be pleased to invite other groups to
have control over our events? If we want them to help us, it's only fair to
let them make decisions, too -- and we may not like the decisions they make.

In conclusion: I don't necessarily think these suggestions are invalid; we
just need to think about the implications and make sure we word any advice
to the Kingdom very precisely, so as to avoid as many potential negative
consequences as possible. Remember: *Whatever rules we ask the Kingdom to
create would apply to us also*, so let's be careful.

Dirk (in his email at 8:11 am) makes a really good point about behavioral
rules being less desirable, and I agree. Let's help the Kingdom come up
with a solution to the "too many events on the calendar" problem, but let's
be very careful before we legislate what kinds of events are acceptable and
which aren't. Maybe the best way to have fewer events *is *to determine
which events are "better" than others and to get rid of the ones that don't
make the cut... But there may also be other solutions to the problem, and
this one makes me nervous. We all know the danger that exists when one
person or group gets to decide what kind of fun everyone else is allowed to
have.

--Kasha

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Kay Jarrell via Barony <barony at cynnabar.org