[Cynnabar] 20160125 Barony of Cynnabar Meeting

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Thu Jan 28 15:09:17 UTC 2016

 Sorry this is later than I would wish.  It is a busy week here.

Kay
20160125 Barony of Cynnabar

Anno Societatis L

Center Room, Pierpont Commons.  Workshops 6:30 to 7:15. 7 attendees

Meeting 7:30- 8:30.  13 attendees

*Workshop Topics:*  Tonight was* Good Books for Medievalists, by Mistress
Kay.*

·         Please join us at 6:30 for an interesting topic before each
meeting.

·         Please tell *Baroness Hannah* if you would like to present a
workshop.  All topics are of interest.

·         We can get a Screen if anyone wishes one for their workshop.  It
may be possible to get a projector, too. Please discuss with Baroness
Hannah.

*Feb 8 -* *Middle Eastern Dance Basics with Lady Fatima. *Work on some
dances prior to Terp! Learn some basic Middle Eastern dance steps as an
introduction to what can be learned at Terpsichore. Dance level (either
beginner or more advanced) will be chosen day of class depending on who's
in attendance.

*Feb 15 - European Dance with Mistress Alina.* Review some of the dances
from the Terpsichore ball lists in advance of the event. Dance level
(either beginner or more advanced) will be chosen day of class depending on
who's in attendance.

*Feb 22 Attending Court as a Newcomer.* Attending court for the first time?
Get a quick overview on what to do, learn who's who on the dais, and what
to do should you be called into the presence.

*Activity, Event & Demo Reports*

Garb Workday on Saturday had 12 people in the shop.  A great turnout, says
Ermenrich.

Newcomer’s Day on Sunday was very successful.  11 newcomers had to share
handouts.   Ermenrich met 6 or 7 new names and says attendees enjoyed being
the focus of the session.  Almost all were students.  Sarah brought 4.  At
least one reported finding us through North Fest.  [SEE Chatelaine Report
for recruiting discussion] There were many speakers.  A repeat of this
should add activities, reduce lecture time.  Be more hands-on.

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Terpsichore at the Tower (March 5, 2016)* St Paul United Church of Christ,
Saline, MI Ceara is event steward. Budget $1000 1/18/16 CHANGE to $2500
(Final TBD). Break even 84 Adults. 1/18/16 CHANGE to 182 Adults

No Site Change per Ceara, after the Tuesday site visit by Claire

·         *Website to be changed* to indicate the *Member Discount
Rate*.  Aaron
will handle.  SEE St Cecilia item for discussion

·         Schedule will have to change due to Their Majesties wishes

*St. Cecilia at the Tower (Sat April 30- Sun May 1, 2016)* St Paul United
Church of Christ, Saline, MI Mistress Jadwiga is event steward.  Budget
$400. Break even 67 Adults.

No event updates, but started a discussion of recent ruling on Non Member
Surcharge.

Giovanna reports it has been stated clearly that groups may advertise that
Member prices are a Discount, rather than that Non Members are charged
extra (much better marketing). The NMS must be paid, even if the group
chooses not to charge attendees, and we do not need to call it a surcharge.

This affects St Cecilia, because gate is a donation.  Aaron says that the
event will track and pay the surcharge for non members. He will change the
event web page to indicate that there is a discount for members, but there
is no set gate fee, just a recommendation.

We will put an item on the February agenda to Change Cynnabar Financial
Policy to always advertise Member Discount.  Giovanna said that was the
recommended way to handle this at the group level.

*Old Business*

*Search for Minster of Youth Office* – no News

*Search for Cynnabar Pursuivant** – Grey is interested.*

*Archery Marshal for Cynnabar:* Lady Godaeth Wisfaest. *2nd of 3 Meetings*

No negative remarks.  Grey gave a strong recommendation of Godaeth’s
organizational skills and passion for archery.  “Let her do it, she will be
great.” Grey promised to continue working with archers as a trainer.

*New Business*

Proposal for Grand Day of Tournaments.  *The complete document is attached
at the end of the Minutes. These are NOTES* *for various sections of the
document*.  This Proposal INCLUDES training activities for Future Stewards,
as a workshop series and opportunities to shadow staff members.

DATE:  The home football game is a minor school; Maryland.  Directions need
to account for the game.

VISION: Have lots of pools, more list fields.  How can we improve that and
still have space for some seating?  Use the format from Crown?  It needs
lots of help to set up court.

STAFF: Add a Hospitality person and greeters to walk people through to the
farmers market if they come to our door.  Be prepared to explain the event,
Society.

Set up and Teardown Leader.  Post GDoT 2015 discussion suggests this should
be the same person or team leading both efforts, so what came in and how to
put it away is known.

ADD a Minion to the Prizes/ Prize Coordinator team, so their Excellencies
have help that day.

BUDGET:

Add a Prize budget.  After discussion $300 was set, to provide top prizes
for Rapier Grand Tourney and Armored Pools (or whatever we call the main
tourney), and maybe Thrown Weapons.

Lunch Tavern will be a separate proposal. This actually made about $70 last
year.

QUESTIONS Raised by Kay:  Is there a way to move day camps out of the main
hall to make more list space? Would it be possible to create performance
spaces for musicians to schedule? Could we request strolling players?

*Other Group Discussion*

*How can we best get news to Newcomers?  *They may not be on the email
list. Are we using Facebook effectively? Website is updated.  SEE Officers
Reports Webminister.

*Spring Revel 2016* DATE TBD

·         Their Excellencies are soliciting bids for the Spring Revel. Bids
due 2/8/16.

·         Island Park New Shelter is being HELD for us on Sunday April 17,
2016.

o   When I give Parks Customer Service Center *our Tax number* it will be
charged as if we were a city resident, $137 for the whole day.

o   734.794.6230

*Grand Day of Tournaments 2016 (Sat Nov 5, 2016)* Liberty School, Ann Arbor
Saline Road, Saline, MI

·         Event proposals are due today

*Pentemere 12th Night 2017* DATE TBD

·         Bids should be submitted by the first week of March.

·         A Site is not yet Booked

*Status check on Approved Budget Items:  *

*Baronial Trailer* Budget $3500-$3950       Black, 5’x12’x6’ single axle
covered, lights, hitch kit.

·         No News

·         *The build has been delayed by availability of the siding.*
Second half of payment will be $1810. About $390 under budget, allowing us
to get the registration.

·         *Registration & Insurance:* Kay needs empty weight of trailer,
bill of sale, any docs we get, etc.  She will get State Registration and
send to SCA Inc for insurance.

*Shall we make a Royal Travel Fund Donation*?  Ermenrich 10% of
treasury, *about
$1000*

·         Tabled to 4/2016, until Terpsichore costs are known* @ 2nd of 3
Meetings*

*Stickers with the Baronial Populace Badge* (and maybe name?) $60-100

·         No discussion

*Shall the Barony donate $250 of Baronial Funds to support 50 Year
Celebration in July?  *This is for the General Fund of the event, no
specific activity.

·         *Ilse cut a check.  Ermenrich will get it mailed.  DONE*

*Announcements:*

None not covered elsewhere.

*Officer Reports                      January 25, 2016*

(normally done on 4th Monday of each month)

Exchequer (Ilse) – $11,873.33  Baroness Briana is paid (I think this says…)

Webminister (Aaron) – New Website. The latest revision to the Barony of
Cynnabar website makes it easier for newcomers than ever, and it is Now
MOBILE Friendly.  Kay plans to test it out today.

The site is now easier to administer.  Aaron is working on the calendar.  His
next big project rollout is the new, easier to use, Cynnabar Oder of
Precedence. This is what is taking up all his Society time now.

Fencing Marshal (William) –

Min A&S (Aeffe) –My quarterly report was submitted on the 15th of January
and I received a reply from the regional A&S minister.  I met with Their
Excellencies to discuss ideas for the office and to answer questions.  I
attended and introduced myself at the new member meeting on January 23.

Min. Youth (Open) –

Chatelaine (Daye) – We should certainly do Newcomer’s Day again. It’s time
to reinstate the student focused Revel on campus, too.  How productive are
Festifall, Northfest? Let’s evaluate. Northfest this year may have been
best, because it was near Engineering, Arts and Theatre buildings, fellow
geeks.

Can we focus student recruiting on going where they are? Attend other
groups with similar interests and tell them about the SCA? Can we get
students more involved in student recruiting? “Adult” volunteers set up
Festifall, but students man the table?  Use more performances at all
recruiting activities. Overall Cynnabar is in good shape for recruiting
activities.

Chronicler (Gavriil) – The Newsletter page had an issue, but Gavriil got it
fixed as soon as it was reported to him.  Kay hears he is trying to get
another issue out fast.  I bet he wants content. I shall send him some.

Herald (Johannes) – Seeking a new Herald

Knight Marshal (Gregor) – Reports via Gregoire that he is often
transporting loaner gear for people who do not come and then having to find
gear for people who did not request in advance.  Please reserve armor if
you want to practice.  It would be *courteous* to arrange to Meet Gregor at
his car as he arrives and carry gear in.

Archery Marshal (Open) – Grey and Godaeth report a plan to start shooting
at Dillon’s in April.

A Make your own Arrow plan waits on a place to do it. Coating arrows with
varnish needs to be done outdoors, and then the arrows dried for a
week.  Archers
may borrow fletching jigs for 1 week to put on their feathers and points,
then the set up goes to the nest person.  Good Plan!

Kay will check again with Kingdom Seneschal about posting practice with a
contact number for the address.

Seneschal (Kay) – Trailer covered above.

*Should we revisit the Meeting Site?* Numbers dropped rather than increase.
Even people urging us to move out of Classic Cup do not attend. We lost
some folks I think were on the west side of town. Parking is not
convenient. I am researching where Other Baronies meet.

Baron and Baroness (Kasha and Ermenrich) – Please write recommendation to
Their Majesties, for Terpsichore.  We do not expect to do any awards at
Baronial Court at this time.

We are still a Barony.

Grand Day of Tournaments Proposal

01/25/2016