[Cynnabar] 20160926 Barony of Cynnabar Business Meeting Notes

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Wed Sep 28 00:51:46 UTC 2016

 20160926 Barony of Cynnabar Business Meeting Notes

Center Room, Pierpont Commons.  Workshops 6:30 to 7:15. _ _ attendees

Meeting 7:30- 8:30. _12 _ attendees.

Attending:  Ceara, Aaron Drummond, Jadzia, Martin [noted as having
excellent handwriting], Ermenrich, Kasha, Daye, Eadraed, Morwen, Gregor,
Zygmunt, Derian, Kay

*Workshop Topics:* Tonight’s workshop was canceled *due to room
availability*.

*Oct 10 Running a Tournament List with Mistress Claire.      Description to
come.*

*Oct 17 Archery Kit* *with Forrester Grey.         *Archery for the
non-archer will be a short discussion of the basics of SCA archery. Topics
to be covered: 1) gear selection with a variety of bows to try for fit. 2)
how an SCA archery line runs, 3) What to expect at an SCA archery event 4)
questions and answers.*.*

*Oct 24** Good Books** for Medievalists lead**: The Return of Martin
Guerre, by Natalie Zemon Davis **led by Kay**.*              Where:
Pierpont Commons (Dining Area - Upper Level. See a Synopsis at Amazon.

            Contact Baroness Hannah Schreiber at dawnlsinclair at gmail.com if
you would like to present a workshop. All topics are of interest.

Meeting began at _ 7:38_ pm

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Canton Public Library Demo*:  Sunday October 23, 2016 tentatively 1-3 pm.

·         Demo leader: *Eidy*

·          Volunteer Signup has gone out to the Barony Email List

·         *Best time arrive?  12 Noon. We have 1 hour of Set up Time.*

*Ann Arbor Dance Event,* “Time Traveler’s Ball *Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:30
-11:00 pm. Michigan League Lady Morwen, Liaison. *

*SEE Funding Discussion under Old Business*

This historic dance event is on our calendar because the student group was
invited to participate in organizing it.  All dancers are welcome.  A web
site for the event should be up soon.  Tickets are available at the door.
Historic clothing of all time periods is encouraged but not required.
Contact Morwen for information.

*Grand Day of Tournaments 2016 Sat Nov 5, 2016,* Liberty School, Ann Arbor
Saline Road, Saline, MI. Ms. Giovanna Steward. Budget $1735. Breakeven 174.

·         Set Up will start after 9 pm.

·         List Field needs to be picked up somewhere in Roaring Wastes.

*Ann Arbor Christian School Demo Thursday Dec 8, 2016. Coordinator Daye. *Site:
5500 Whitmore Lake Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105*, *

·         Leader: Daye

·         Recruiting has started. See Daye to be part of this annual
performance.

*Wassail!  Dec 10 2016, Chelsea Fairgrounds* – Reserved

·         We need a *Steward* and a *Proposal* by first November Meeting at
the latest.

·         *Steward Duties* will be organizing the set up and clean up
teams, and making decisions about how the evening will flow.  Organize
Baronial Presence set up, and assist in Court Planning.  You may do more
theme design if you wish.

*Pentemere 12th Night Jan 7, 2017. THL Ceara *Hidden Springs Church,
Howell *Budget
$2700* Breakeven: 170(approx)

·         We are creating a contract for the rental.

·         Staffing:

o   Eadraed will take on Feast Clean up Leader.

o   We need a Path Clearing Team Leader ready to deploy in case of snow.

o   Set Up Leader still needed.

·         TRMs are invited, and space offered to do the A&S activity His
Majesty desires to hold at a 12th night next year.

*Terpsichore at the Tower **April 1, 2017 Lord Gavriil.* St Paul’s Church
of Christ, Saline MI. *B**udget $500* Breakeven: 50.

·         We will need a Contract, per Kingdom

·         Theme?

*St Cecelia at The Tower May 13 & 14, 2017 *St Paul’s Saline & ___?* Ms
Jadzia. Budget $400. *Breakeven? Donations at the Door.

This will be the 6th return of this event.  IT is growing each year. See
more at

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15uQDwyWJao5QwN3lp-2b5qBZauagE9onn08JUtfk4d4

*Old Business*

*Rent a Handicap Porta John for use at Closing of the Range, Baronial
Archery Marshal Godaeth, $150.* *3rd of 3 meetings*

·         Approved

*GDoT Lunch Tavern,* *Lady Ilse $600*. *3rd of 3 meetings.  *Breakeven 100
lunches/ $6.00

·         Approved

*Replenishing the Student Organization Account. $200. 3rd of 3 meetings*

·         Shall we restock to that same $200 level?

·         *Approved*

*Registering the Baronial Awards and Order Names and Badges. Mistress
Ursula, Herald. $136 (or-$140 with postage?) 3rd of 3 meetings*

Shall the Barony complete and pay for the registration of our various names
and devices with the College of Heralds?

·         Approved

*Ann Arbor Dance Event,* “Time Traveler’s Ball” *Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:30
-11:00 pm. Michigan League Lady Morwen, Liaison. $300  2nd of 3 Meetings*

·         This event would support our recruiting among students by giving
them an opportunity to meet people involved in the arts of a different time
period than they are already investigating.

·         Questions:

o   Aaron asked for Dance periods focus: English Country Dance and Contra
Dance.  He and Jadzia know the Caller/ Ball host for this event, as well as
the leadership of AACTMAD

o   No objections were raised to continuing the process, after the
presentation of info below.

·         Is this an SCA Event is we sponsor it? Do we need Waivers and is
our insurance involved? Kingdom Seneschal says:

o    “Donate the $300 to the group holding the dance with the understanding
the donation is for the purposes of marketing.  Specify in an agreement
with the hosting group that the SCA group assumes no liabilities related to
the event.

o   “It is not an SCA event.   Kathleen Dyer VP Operations Middle Kingdom.”

·         How do we treat the Funding and any returns from the event? From
Kingdom Exchequer, 9/19/16:

o    “If this is a donation going to a recognized 501-c organization: The
donation is simply recorded in the ledger as a 501-c3 donation in the
expense column. It will automatically import correctly (or should) into the
quarterly report form.

o   “If, for some reason, you are not using the ledger workbook to record
your transactions, then it should be recorded manually in the quarterly
report workbook on the Expense detail 12B under section 29.

o   “If it is not a donation to another 501-c, then it will need to be
expensed as fees/honoraria. I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any
other info. Kateline”

·         More from Kingdom Exchequer, 9/23/16

o   “AACTMAD  is a 501c-3. They are the hosting organization. They have
asked that your group - SCA, Inc. - Barony of Cynnabar - sponsor an event
by donating $300.

o   “All of this is acceptable under the SCA and MK financial policies. My
suggestion is to simply make a blanket donation of $300 without any
expectation of a return. What the receiving non-profit does with the monies
after they receive them is not under our purview. We simply *need them to
provide us with a receipt for the donation with a copy of their non-profit
status letter from the IRS*. Keep the letter and receipt in the Barony
financial files; record the donation as such in the ledger.”

·         Part of the contribution might be refunded to Cynnabar from Gate
income of the event if that exceeds expenses. Refund would be in proportion
to Cynnabar’s percentage of the overall expenses. Currently that is about
30% of a $1000 budget. Expected return is 20 to 25% of outlay or $60 to $75.

*Proposal to Revise the Cynnabar Financial Policy. Baron Ermenrich, $250
annually 2nd of 3 Meetings*

Draft Wording of the proposed revision:

The Exchequer will annually in August restock the University of Michigan
Student Organization Account with $250, until usage indicates we change the
amount, frequency or account in which funds are kept.

·         This proposal would make this a standard activity.

·         Signers can access statements at any time on SOAS pages. Kay is
carrying Oct 2015-Sept 2016, for Exchequer.

·         No Objections

*Officer vacancies to be filled:*

Chatelaine – Possible Applicant

Minister of Youth –

Office of Group Marshal for Archery –

·         Lady Godaeth is stepping down after serving 3 of the last 4 years.

·         A position description will be posted to the website, or write to
Kay for a copy this week.

Deputy Seneschal (Drop Dead) - This can be a track to becoming the next
Seneschal, too.  That post will open up in Spring or Summer 2017.

*New Business* (includes items potentially requiring budget outlays)

*St Cecelia at the Tower VI*. *Mistress Jadzia **Saturday May 13, 2017 St.
Paul’s UCC, Saline, MI. Sunday May 14, 2017 - Michigan Union Anderson
Rooms. 1st of 3 meetings*

·         No Gate Fee; Free Will Donation has covered expenses before.

·         50-80 Attendees expected.

·         Aelfric has been alerted to the dates desired.

·         Note from Kay: $126.00 charge to SOAS Account on 4/26/16 might be
for the Anderson Rooms on that date.

·         No Big Sing this year.  It took an entire set of classes to get
organized.

·         A Lunchtime Concert will be held, with Their Excellencies as
Hosts.

Here is the link to the proposal :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15uQDwyWJao5QwN3lp-2b5qBZauagE9onn08JUtfk4d4

*Restock the Chatelaine Box with Cards and Brochures. $75 Lady Daye. 1st of
3 meetings*

·         We are below 20 copies.

·         A single panel Brochure advertising Terpsichore at the Tower will
also be created to

put out at Time Traveler’s Ball.

*Status check on approved budget items*

*Elephant’s Heart Medallions* – Name of Order corrected.  Pieces will be
ready for the next baronial courts, at Closing of the Range and Grand Day
of Tournaments.

*Baronial Trailer* *Budget $3500-$3950* Wood lining in process.

 * New Gloves for Rapier Practice and Training Lady Birke. $120 *6 pair
gloves at $20/ pair.  Purchase will be 2 small, 2 medium, and 3 large
cuffed gloves. Per Birke purchase is not done.

 *Announcements** & Group Discussion*

News of activities and Honors at Coronation – Baron Ermenrich.  2 from
Cynnabar oar in Crown. Ceara is now Kingdom Minister of Youth. Ms.
Giovanna’s Kingdom office of Chatelaine is now a Great Office. Don’t miss
next Cynnabar Court.  We have Royal Business to carry out.

Master Zygmunt’s household will be doing a group entry for the
Craftsperson’s Faire at Crown (…I think is the event.)

Derian will have the GDoT Coin Die done this week and will strike coins
starting at Red Dragon, where there will be other moneyers to assist.

*Words of Their Excellencies* - See Officer Reports*.*

*Officer Reports          Big 5 followed by rest.  Martial grouped.*

*Min A&S* (Aeffe) –  Reminder to please let me have this quarter's A&S
reports by October 13.  This will include any activities folks did at
Pennsic.

Pentemere regional spring 2017 A&S Faire is looking for a site.  It can be
either a standalone event or part of another event.  I ask members of the
Barony to consider whether we'd like to host this activity.  These faires
are typically small but they have particular space needs.  I can provide
more information at the next meeting.

            Master Aaron:  It might be possible to join it to St Cecelia,
but too early to say.

*Chronicler* (Gavriil) –

*Exchequer* (Ilsa) –

*Herald *(Eadraed) – Filling in Change of Office paperwork. Working with
Aaron to update the heraldic information on the website.  Thanks for
supporting the registering of badges and awards.  Heralds Night continues
in conjunction with Scribal Night, 1st Monday of the month, hosted by
Baroness Hannah and Baron Tairdelbach. Contact them for directions and
Potluck dinner plans. There will be a Herald’s Table at Grand Day of
Tournaments, possibly a workshop, too.  Mistress Ursula is considering a
Review of Kingdom Heraldic Commentary.  It is a great way to learn more by
seeing what passed, what failed, and why.

*Knight Marshal* (Gregor) – Practice attendance is good.  We move into the
Anderson Rooms Michigan Union on Sunday 10/9. Gregor is going to be the
Iron Key for loaner armor for a few months, since Zygmunt lives so far out.
There are 2 or three new fighters; Tim, Sidney, and Charlie. Tim already
built an SCA-legal helm and one person is coming to Gregor this week to
work in his shop.

*Group Marshal for Archery* (Godaeth) –  Monday 9/26/16:

-- Planning is underway for Closing of the Range to be held Sunday October
30, 2016, from 1-5 p.m. Current plans are for a 3-D Tournament, Royal
Rounds, Halloween friend/foe, and a Clout challenge.  As an "enhanced
practice" garb will be encouraged but not required and there will be snacks
but no arranged potluck.

-- Dillon's range is now open for the rest of the season (weather
permitting) since its closure, August 7 - September 4.  So far good weather
has prevailed for practices 9/11, 9/18, and 9/25.

-- Forester Grey attended Reign of Arrows on Sept. 10.  (I assume he made a
separate report in "Event and Demo Reports.")

-- The Office of Group Marshal for Archery will be available to anyone who
would like to take it on as of Closing of the Range.  At that event I will
step down as Group Marshal *permanently* having undertaken the role for
three years, two consecutively, then for 2016.  A "job description" is
attached.

*Fencing Marshal* (William, Deputy Birke) – Gregor reports, “They’ve been
stabbing each other.” Practices are happening in the same spots as Armored
combat.

Derian authorized in the MK at Coronation for Cut and Thrust. Participated
in a 4 hour long Grind Tournament.

*Chatelaine* (Daege) – Likes that people have taken to heart the idea, “We
are All Chatelaines.”  Need money for Brochures.  *See New Business*. Daye
was talked into organizing a Terpsichore 1.3 page flyer to be done for Time
Traveler’s Ball.  Kay will alert Gavriil to join in.

*Webminister* (Aaron) –  Updating the technical aspects of our webpage.  Moving
more information to Profile pages.  Working on the Spam problem with
Baronial email addresses.  Google thinks similar things are Spam.

·         We need Stewards to supply updates to Aaron for existing Event
web pages.  Discussion of importance of getting info on the web early to
attract attendees.

·         Kay asked if he Archery Marshall Position Description could go up
on the web. She will forward what Godaeth creates.

*Min. Youth* (OPEN) –

*Seneschal* (Kay) –

·         U/M Student Organization page that our renewal of registration is
due this Friday and Hattie reports  it is complete.

·         Due to Ceara’s new post I need a Deputy Seneschal (Drop Dead) - This
can be a track to becoming the next Seneschal, too.  That post will open up
in Spring or Summer 2017.

*Baron and Baroness* (Kasha and Ermenrich) – Keep working on Prizes for
GDoT.  Think, “would I like to win this?”

We need award recommendations for Baronial awards, and the Crown needs your
recommendations for their courts.

We really want an event steward for Wassail.  [Actions needed moved to the
Event Listing. Kay] This is a fun easy event to Steward and a good first
step.

Since we swore fealty twice Saturday, and the King and Queen accepted it,
We are still a Barony!

Meeting adjourned: _8:55_ pm