[Cynnabar] Searching for a new Meeting site.

Malachy von Ulm via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Sat Mar 11 19:46:18 UTC 2017

Godaeth,

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 03:35:36PM -0500, Elizabeth Calhoun via Barony wrote:
> A week ago or so, someone commented in the Facebook group that a business
> meeting that started at 7:30pm and went to 9 really didn't hold much
> attraction.  Maybe having workshops has been well-intentioned but the
> *critical synergy* is 1) a "fun" venue and 2) a chance for group meals &
> socializing, as we used to do at Classic Cup.

I suspect that post was mine.  This isn't facebook, so hopefully this
response isn't constrained by FB's usual TL;DR problem.

For the time in question, I had an unusual day off and would have been able
to attend.  I don't regularly attend partially due to how my work day goes
so I wouldn't count this as a good criterium.

It should also be said that while I haven't been active in helping to run
anything in Cynnabar, I had prior experience as Seneschal and also as
Exchequer of Hawkland Moor.  (And I'm likely overdue to offer service
again.)

The main purpose of a business meeting is the group's *business*.  I'm a
strong supporter of anything that gets that done efficiently and with good
discussion.

I was also a strong supporter of getting the group's business done quickly
so that social time can happen.  Since I have not been a regular attendee of
Cynabar meetings, I don't have a sense as to what factors come into play to
manage the social time vs. the business time.  But the business *must*
happen.

So, speaking in general ignorance, I must still comment:

> Just my thoughts and questions.  Do we need "incentives" to come to
> meetings?  And: How does having a separate student group on campus affect
> the Baronial meetings (if at all)?

Be efficient at your business, plan time for social stuff.  And even in the
absence of planned social stuff, the pre-meeting classes have sorely tempted
me more than once to ignore job responsibilities and visit.  Keep those up!

--
Malachy

"Ancient nightmares. Archaic legends.  Enigmatic dreams. All of it is true."
Abney Park - All the Myths are True.