[Cynnabar] 20180122 baronial business meeting notes

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Mon Feb 12 16:35:49 EST 2018

 January 22, 2018 Barony of Cynnabar Business Meeting Notes

Journey of Faith Christian Church, Ann Arbor, MI

Pre-meeting workshop: 6:30 – 7:30: *"Don't Know Much About His-to-ry, an
introduction to research" presented by Godhit. Ever wonder what "History"
really is? Where it's made and how it gets "distributed"? In this workshop
we'll discuss what History is, who makes it, how to find it, and how to
honor Article II Sect. a.-b. of the SCA Articles of Incorporation!. 14
attendees*

Meeting 7:30- 8:30: 14 attendees

Attending: attendance sheet missing
Business Meeting began at 7:48 pm

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Terpsichore, Midair MacCormaic*, April 21, 2018, $550, St Paul’s in Saline.
The site is available, same setup as prior years.  Lunch tavern will be a
separate proposal.  If you want to learn how to run an event, this is a
great one to be deputy steward for! Breakeven is around 55 adults, last
year we had 139 attendees.  It is on the kingdom calendar.

·        Siri Toivosdottir will be the band leader

·        Call for teachers has come out.

·        We are on the calendar at the church, need to get a copy of the
contract.

·        We have not yet paid for the site, plan to pay for the site is in
work

·        Facebook event and webpage are up!

*St Cecila, Aeffe Torsdottir, May 12th – 13th, 2018, $450*, People’s
Presbyterian church in Milan, where Hannah and Tairdelbach’s investiture
was.  The sanctuary was built for piano concerts, so it has good acoustics.
Kitchen, spacious fellowship hall, lounge, two small classrooms, and a
royalty room.  Sunday site TBD.  Site: $250, Salon Food: $100, Printing
$50, Incidental costs $50.  Breakeven is 90 people at average of $5
donation.   Red spears has approved the date!  Performance space site on
Sunday is still needed.

·        Thank you to the populace of Cynnabar for approving funds for this
event!  The site is confirmed and we are awaiting word regarding if they
require a deposit.

·        Jadzia has created a website and facebook event, and is contacting
potential teachers.  If you know someone who is interested in teaching a
period music class, please contact Jadzia.

·        We still need:

o   A site for Sunday activities on May 13th

o   Lunch and dinner tavern stewards.  Contact Aeffe if you are interested
in running a tavern.  High level help has been offered.

o   Gate helpers are needed!

o   Setup and cleanup help.  Since this is a new site we are especially
keen to leave a good impression

·        Site deposit check is signed and will be sent in

·        Call for teachers to be sent soon

*Cynnabar Ruby Jubilee: * *Baroness Kasha, August 31st – September 2nd,
2018, $6,250.*

·        DATE CHANGE due to availability of the site (original weekend we
requested was not available), request has been sent to the kingdom Calendar
deputy.

·        First staff meeting has been held!

·        Break-even is 250; 209 adults if everyone camps, 313 adults if
everyone daytrips Saturday.  Fewer if people rent cabins.

·        Event proposal reviewed (see link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12wpbBpDV46BEcuM2aI29OgdmPVyC7ZkYJEJp-fjo8KI/edit?usp=sharing
)

·        Preliminary website up.

·        If you  are interested in helping out or taking a staff position
please contact Baroness Kasha

·        One set of cabins / tent camping area designated as quiet area

·        No staking in the septic area, this will be marked

·        There are approximately 125 parking spots, plus roughly 30
overflow parking spots further away.

·        Deposit check and SCA insurance checks (alcohol, golf cart,
supplemental site) have been sent in.  Insurance has been paid, final
contract with the site is in the works.

·        We will want alcohol donations…

·        Site walk through Saturday December 30th.  We will not be able to
get inside the buildings, there will be another walkthrough in the Spring,
when we can get in the buildings, without the snow, etc.

o   Malachy reports: Prelim site survey: using Vikings Come Home site
layout as a model, there is plenty of space for all of the activities we
have planned.  The dining hall is a bit small to have everyone on site in
it.  We may want to consider using a tent.  Figuring out an optimal parking
layout will be a thing we need to do.  Once the snow melts we can go out
there and take some measurements.  Cell service is spotty, we will want to
use radios.  The site is perfect in most ways!

*Old Business*

*Wassail, December 16th 2017, Wayne County fairgrounds,* *Albina Gherardi
(Bina), $850 (including $200 refundable deposit) *

Wayne county fairgrounds as a site, it is in a shared zip code.  Date is
scheduled (Dec 16th), $450 for the day, plus a $200 refundable deposit.  We
can still have our Yule fire.

·        We have not received our deposit back.  It was sent to the PO box,
which no longer exists.  It will get returned, and sent to Jadzia’s address.

·        If you have thoughts about what you liked or did not like about
the site, please let us know.

·        We lost $80 on the event

*Officer vacancies to be filled:*

1.      Minister of Youth– Still seeking a Minister of Youth

*New Business* (includes items potentially requiring budget outlays)

*Bina for Chronicler* – Has desktop publishing experience, is interested in
the position. Third of three meetings.  Alanna as deputy.  APPROVED

*Future fighter practice / meeting space Malachy & Derian *– Looking at
possibilities for future site since we are losing access to the union.  There
is a non-profit in Ypsi called Growing Hope, they have a building next to
the Ypsi farmer’s market site that is big enough for fighting.  It is
currently undergoing renovations.  Preliminary pricing is $50 / hr while
under construction.  $100 / hr while under construction (Thursday
nights).  This
might be possible at $50 / hr, but $100 / hr is probably too much.  Can we
do something else instead?  It is common for other SCA groups to combine
activities, fighting, A&S, business meeting could all happen at one place.  Do
they have storage space we could use?  What about a space at EMU?  Should
we pursue trying to negotiate with Growing Hope?  What about other
sites?  Cavalry
Baptist Church ecorse in YPsi (near the cow).  St Thomas in Ann Arbor
(Kerrytown) on Division?  Derian and Malachy will lead the search – if you
have leads for them, please send them along (email preferred).

*Spring Revel – Amelia *Sunday April 29th, $300 budget, $210 for site, $90
for charcoal, garbage bags, etc.  Island park pavilion just like last year,
gate fee: $0 First of three meetings

*Status check on approved budget items*

*Lunch tavern at cook’s symposium, Baroness Hannah for Renaude de Lunay,
$425 budgeted, *income of $284 at the event.  Receipts TBD, 71 tickets sold

*Dame Ursula / Lord Eadraed, Heralds. $100 ($36 disbursed 11/21/16, $32
disbursed 2/20/17, $16 disbursed 7/10/17) $26 remains to be spent. *Lord
Eadraed reported that the registration process is continuing.

First batch of items have gone through, three order names accepted,
Elephant’s tusk is pending.  Need to work on badge design to finish
spending the budget.

*Announcements** & Group Discussion*

*OFFICER REPORTS*

*Min A&S (Aeffe)* – A&S quarterly report was submitted on time, the
response from the populace this time was great!  Regional A&S faire is on
April 14th, there are both new rules and new criteria to review.  Workshop
presenters needed!  It is easy and fun, contact me with your ideas.

*Chronicler (Godhit)* –

Winter CITADEL is out and posted, many thanks to Aaron our web minister,
thanks to everyone in the barony.  I produced four issues, with a great
deal of help of from the barony, thank you all, it was a wonderful
experience.  I am 110% behind our incoming chronicler, please send her
articles and stories.  It would be wonderful for the Barony especially in
its 40th year for the barony to continue to be a place where the written
word is recorded, please send your work to Bina. I always got my reports in
on time.  Baroness Kasha was the ongoing proofreader and editor of the
Citadel, thanks to her as well.

*Exchequer (Jadwiga)* –

We have $13,202.42 in the bank, pending written checks $12,779.03.  Domesday
is likely done, signatures have been acquired, pending kingdom approval.  Next
thing we need to work on is the inventory list, we are waiting for the
weather to warm up a bit before we push on this activity.

*Herald (Eadraed)* –

Our last heralds night was Dec 4th, eight people were in attendance, No
meeting in January due to New Years.  Dame Ursula continues her work as
Palimpsest, rules herald for the Society.  Registration for Cynnabar’s
awards and badges continues, all but one of the award / order names have
been passed.  Next up is working on registering the badges for these awards
(two have been submitted so far).  We may need some more funds to cover all
registration fees.  Domesday report was due in December, submitted on time.
As requested by Exchequer, plan to work on an inventory of heraldic
supplies and books, starting at our next meeting.

*Knight Marshal (Zygmunt)* –

Practices continue at the union,  but it's only a few months until we need
to switch sites.  If anyone knows of a potential site,  it'd be great to
know about it. Practice attendance on Sunday is hit or miss in
attendance,  based
on winter event attendance the day before. We were fortunate enough to have
the king & queen attend a couple weeks ago,  which was nice.

I'm actively trying to recruit a new deputy, to help with the times I'm out
of town,  and to take over after my term is done.

*Fencing Marshal (William) *–

No report

*Chatelaine (Edonea)* –

No report

*Webminister (Aaron) *

As far as he knows, we still have a website!  He added links to the
Baronial facebook groups.

*Seneschal (Derian)*

We are looking for both a new meeting site and a new practice site.  We
would love to hold practices in February, and while the union is undergoing
renovations.  If you have ideas or leads, please contact Derian.

*Baron and Baroness (Kasha and Ermenrich)*

Taxes for Their Highness: Booze, Banners, Bodies, Benches

They want “a bit” of booze for the Aethelmearc party at Pennsic.  One 5
gallon keg would be sufficient.

They want two banners at Pennsic which represent the Barony in some ways,
one at the Midrealm pavilion on the battlefield.  The second banner will be
carried by the baronial unit on the battlefield

At Pennsic, They are looking to have a battlefield battalion to take care
of setting up the battlefield at the beginning and end of each day.  They
want 1-2 people from each barony to help.

Benches.  They would like to get rid of the folding chairs under the big
pavilion under Midrealm royal.  They want each barony to provide two
benches, stats incoming.

More information on all of these things will be forthcoming.

We are still a barony!

*Announcements*
Monthly tournaments have returned!  We have a new system this year for
scheduling tournaments, they will be happening consistently!

Alanna was talking with Their Excellencies at practice, and she was
wondering if there is an interest in pursuing demos with libraries in other
cities.

Dance practice is scheduled!  They are booked and will be baronial calendar
soon.

*Meeting ended:  **8:52 pm*

[Next Meeting:  Monday February 12th, 2018, at Journey of Faith church
in Ann Arbor]