[Cynnabar] Grand Day 2023: THANK YOU!

Elizabeth Calhoun via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Wed Nov 1 08:27:59 EDT 2023

Unto the Populace of the Barony of Cynnabar, it is my honor to submit unto
you my most heartfelt gratitude for your support of this year’s Grand Day
of Tournaments at the Barony of Cynnabar.

I apologize for the delay in posting this via Baronial email but this needs
to go to all in the Barony and be added to our Baronial email archive.

First, a little story. As many of you know, but bears repeating: from 2013
through 2019 we had the good fortune of being able to stage Grand Day at a
site that was itself a 501©3 – Liberty School in Saline. We took every
advantage of that venue … UNTIL. In 2020, the ability to just pick and
choose affordable sites vanished. The “new normal” post-COVID is that there
are fewer sites and costs have increased substantially. BUT we were
outgrowing Liberty School even in 2019. Change was coming, one way or the
other.

This year’s Grand Day came with a challenge: it HAD to succeed -- yes cover
its cost, but – if possible, keeping costs to attendees reasonable – make a
little money for the Baronial coffers.

I think it did that. Here’s how:

n  Bantiarna Ceara set forth with a mission to conduct an intentional and
coordinated Publicity siege at all points across the Midrealm, starting in
July. She set up the Crash Space sign-up. She set up the overall Volunteer
sign up. And THEN she developed and implemented, to great delight, a
Halloween “Quest” and sent the young-at-heart all over the event site in
search of clues and goodies. (And she also filled in for Hospitality/Gold
Key with Lady Daye called out-of-town.)

n  Mistress Hannah with professional alacrity engaged and managed all
contacts with our Royal Guests, of which there were SEVERAL.

n  Mistress Hannah *furthermore* publicized and chaperoned the prizes that
makes this event a “must-do” on the list of Kingdom fall events.

n  The Honorable Lady Ulfrun volunteered right off to run the Crafters
Green and gaming.

n  Lady Diamanté reprised her role as Head of Gate with a
profoundly-focused diligence inspired by her role as our Exchequer. She
never got a break, unless driving deposits to the bank is a “break.”

n  Baroness Jorun out-organized all of us and left the Event Steward
nodding her head going, “Yeah, yeah, let’s do it THAT way.” That was not
only a rigorous set up/tear down schedule but also, the thoughtfulness of a
“Solar” for respite for those of us who just need a stimuli “time out.” And
all those little baskets in the rest room entrances – Baroness Jorun dd
that. Largesse! A chivalric virtue. (Remember this when it’s HER turn in
the Vigil Tent.)

n  Rapier Marshal-in-Charge Lady Birke promulgated her Rapier activities so
far and wide that there were 66 fencers through her lists. – I think that’s
a Grand Day record!

n  Mistress Melisant dropped her needle and thread and rushed back from New
Zealand to head up the Rapier List Table. (Or something like that.)

n  Baroness Simone once again stocked and monitored the Combatant
Hospitality Tables for both Rapier and Armored Lists. If you had a package
of pretzels and a cup of water or GatorAde, that was Simone’s effort
keeping you hydrated and “electrolyted.”

n  Baroness Isabel of the Lands of the Black Swan made sure there was
gambling.

n  Sir Charles, Sir Jasen, and Sir Gregoire commanded a cast of a thousand
armored marshals to run Lists all day, administered by Mistress Claire at
the Armored List table. Baron Ermenrich managed the heraldic presence at
the Lists – including a shift with the fencers late in the day.

n  Baron Tairdelbach brought in our merchants.

n  Lord Throckmorton the unknown now well-known, draughtsman of the maps of
all Grand Day placements.

n  Master Max spent a LOT of time directing traffic!

n  Master Aaron generously revised, revised, revised, revised, revised the
Grand Day website.

n  Mistress Giovanna, our vice-steward, fielded my “I quit” phone call when
the site “lost” our insurance certificate with two weeks to go to the
event.

n  But, critically, ALL OF CYNNABAR, the Populace, the Baronage, the dozens
of people I saw helping out, all the volunteers that signed up for event
tasks or Retaining or just smiled and gave directions or answered
questions.

n  And all the magic of our common pastime that whisks away into the cool
night, a day come forward of medieval times, of 300 people of all
nationalities and disciplines and crafts, a Knight and a Master of Defense
at their Vigils. It was, perhaps, a dream.

I’m sure I have left many people out of my personal thanks. If you saw
excellence in Service at the event … you know what to do! I’m sure Their
Excellencies Bjarki and Valka would be delighted to receive your Award
Recommendations!

YIS, Godhit, Event Steward for Grand Day 2023