[Cynnabar] meeting minutes for 5/24/10

David Hoornstra dhoorn123 at comcast.net
Sat May 29 16:37:05 EDT 2010

We should be able to meet wherever we want. I see no reason to confuse the
two questions of where to meet and whether we are a U-M organization. We
have met on and off campus in different eras with little effect on our
student org. status.

One member in 1980 was a law student; thanks to his management of the ³law
student SCA group² we met in the Law Quad for a while. We¹d build a fire in
the fireplace and have dance practice in front of it. Over the next few
years we met in many different campus locations based on members¹
connections, such as a student in West Quad.

To address Robyn¹s idea: we met and have workshops during 1981-82 at my
apartment near Michigan Stadium. We also had arms and dance practices
Sundays in the back yard. This worked for a small budding group full of
enthusiasm, and was great fun, but once we got past thirty people, it got
way too crowded. If we have few people attending because of the location,
the solution has to accommodate more than the few.

Aaron¹s points: Regarding requirements, including ³U of M² in the name, I
would mention the U of M Sailing Club, which has been around longer than we
have, does not meet on campus, and is run by people my age. Like them, we
probably enjoy some unofficial ³grandfather-clause² status. I see no reason
to throw away whatever benefit the U-of-M connection offers.

I don¹t think the term ³parasitic² reflects the intention of the group over
the long term. When we first began meeting on campus (1980), we had more
students or very-recent ex-students such as myself than of anything else.
This was typical of SCA groups across the country. It was also typical of
University clubs in general: I myself continued as president/instructor of
the U of M Fencing Club (which continues to this day under that name) for
two years after my student status expired (1974). It was one of my students
who introduced me to the SCA and led to all this.

Due to the fantasy/literary/academic basis of our activities and interests
at the time, campuses were the prime recruiting ground for the SCA. We
considered our presence on campus as an enrichment of the University
community. The university and the various clubs¹ members appreciate the
experience veteran members bring, that can¹t be created in anyone¹s four
years.

I don¹t know what the marketing experts of the SCA now believe our prime
audience is, or whether the campus is where to connect with it.

So... Since I don¹t drink beer....how¹s the wine list?

Daibhid