[Cynnabar] Weekly Meeting Minutes for September 12, 2011

Malachy von Ulm malachy at pfrc.org
Tue Sep 13 17:14:44 UTC 2011

I didn't want to jump into the fray last night since the issue not only is
one of passion but one of finance.  I'll give my opinion here tersely with
no hard feelings how any may choose to take it.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:28:00PM -0400, Greg Less wrote:
> Either way, the issue stands that if a reduced site fee is being offered to
> some people who spend some or all of their day working, it should probably
> be offered to everyone who spends the some or all of the day working.

Events should minimally break even.  Most of the time, the desire is that
the events bring in enough funds to permit the group to have operating
capital for other projects.

If it is the policy of the group to comp those who provide significant labor
for the event, that in itself is a form of expense that must be accounted
for.  As an example, an event was proposed that had a $900 budget.  If 25
people pay $4 less each as a comp for their labor at an event that has a few
hundred people coming, the event now needs to make up $200 somewhere.

If it should become the case that gate fees must rise to cover this $200,
are we doing anyone a favor?  For small events, probably not.  For larger
events, the additional cost from the comp is easier to spread out.

I am of the opinion that comping event labor is not something that makes for
good policy.  It may be appropriate situationally at large events.  Even
then, custom and culture may simply discourage it.  My finances are not
burdened by a site fee at this point.  I am more likely to donate some
additional funds to help an event have a gate fee that is low enough for
those who have to "choose between their pizza dinner and an event". :-)

I suspect many feel the same way.

--
Malachy

"Ancient nightmares. Archaic legends.  Enigmatic dreams. All of it is true."
Abney Park - All the Myths are True.