[Cynnabar] Generalist Events vs. Niche Events or Opening the Can of Worms

Greg Less greg.less at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 21:48:49 UTC 2011

Hi Monique-

  I would like to respond to some of what you are saying that really
disturbs me on a fundamental level

>  At some point people are going to say "Do I want
> to pay to help support someone else's hobby or should I spend my
> time/money elsewhere." At some point people get tapped out.

   The SCA is all of our hobby and the hobby isn't singing, dancing,
fighting, fencing, cooking, candle stick making or even sitting at gate - it
is having the opportunity to dress funny and hang out with friends in a big
building that isn't remotely medieval but we all pretend is. The site fee
gives me the right to get my geek on with other people with a similar desire
to play pretend on Saturday afternoon. The different nuances of the hobby
may not be practiced by all of us, but they are still part of the overall
hobby.

   My feeling is that if I sit gate at Terpsichore, since I am not terribly
interested in dancing, hopefully someone who isn't interested in fighting
will return the favor at Grand Tourney. I pay to work today, so that I can
pay to play tomorrow. It's really not a bad model assuming everyone pitches
in equally to help out when it isn't their turn to play. I don't think that
is happening, but that is a different conversation for a different time...

  Respectfully,

-Gregoire.