[Cynnabar] BoC - Settlement funding discussion

Art Sinclair tairdelbach at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 01:34:21 UTC 2012

Hello,

I think that these are both valuable questions. And neither deserve to be
dismissed as relevant to the situation.

The first speaks to the character of our group. And We believe that the
answer to that question is a hearty and resounding "yes". We are most
certainly the kind of group that stands up and helps when there is need.

The second is also a very good question, and as you say difficult to answer
in such a short time. However to address your specific questions:

1) Has kingdom officially asked that groups immediately give above and
beyond if they're capable?

By suggesting that we might give above and beyond if we are able is as
close to an explicit request as we are likely to get because, as was
pointed out, this is not a situation that the SCA has ever dealt with
before. Neither the SCA nor the Kingdom makes a habit of demanding monies
from local groups.

2) How much more value would giving now be over giving in a month?
3) What damage would we be doing by waiting?

These two I think are largely related so I will address together.

We have already been informed that the kingdom funds will be virtually
depleted and a number of projects will be placed on hold. This will also
likely impact royal travel funds and the like. We can request that excess
funds be directed to the kingdom coffers and will be of immediate
assistance to the Royals and others. The benefit to giving now may mean
that the Royals will get to travel to events in the next couple months, or
that Kingdom can pay other outstanding costs unrelated to the lawsuit.

What we stand up and do now will be what is remembered as it pertains to
this situation. This is an unprecedented situation and We feel it deserves
our generous attention. We therefore endorse giving the 18% of the 2011
doomsday for our group which rounded up would be $1200. This will leave us
with plenty to cover the costs of what events we have already planned. The
ideas for fundraisers are also great and should be discussed further.

To address another point that has come up in this discussion.

Some have asked if there is a way for individuals to give directly for
this. The answer is not yet, but it is being worked on and We will pass
along any information regarding that when we receive it.

We have also been asked to attend a meeting with Their Majesties about this
at Val Day. We will of course bring the results of that discussion to the
group at our next meeting.

We remain in Service,

Tairdelbach and Hannah
Baron and Baroness

They deem me mad for I will not sell my days for gold; I deem them mad for
they think my days have a price.
-- Kahlil Gibran