[Cynnabar] Weekly meeting minutes for 01/16/12

Cynnabar Seneschal boc.seneschal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:26:13 UTC 2012

Here are the weekly meeting minutes for this week's business meeting on
01/16/12.

Please note, I am tweaking the format of the meeting a little with what
sections are discussed in what order. For example, I'm moving Announcements
to the last item as many times in the past, people would make an
announcement for an event or "old business" that would have been covered
later in the meeting. So moving it to last helps keep things in better
order. Also, I've moved the "Upcoming events" section out from under Old
Business so it is a section by itself.  Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Finn

Event and Demo Reports:

Garb Workday - THL Arina reported that last Saturday there was a garb
workshop with 7 people that showed up and it went well.

Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos

A Day as St. Catherine's Cloister - Demystifying A&S Competitions (Feb. 4th)
-
We will need volunteers for gate (Nat is our gate person) and for directing
traffic, especially early in the day.

Armored Fighter Retreat (March 30th thru April 1st) -

Same plan as last year. More details to come or see His Excellency
Tairdelbach for details.

Terpsichore (April 14th) -

No update at meeting time. I apologize for missing talking about the
possibility of adding the Regional A&S competition to event activities.
Please see the separate e-mail that was sent out for details and feel free
to respond to the e-list with any questions or thoughts.

Spring Revel (April 29th) -

This is the Spring Revel and Baronial armored and rapier championships.
There is a $149 rental fee for the pavilion at Island Park (same one that
was rented last year) which includes a $12 alcohol permit. This is the
second discussion for this budget item. No issues or objections were raised
during the discussion. It was asked about what happens in case of bad
weather and the answer is we all go under the pavilion. There is no other
bad weather contingency and the calendar is already packed.

St. Ceclia at the Tower (May 12th) -

Nothing new to report.

Old Business

New Fencing Gear Budget Proposal -

Was approved. Has been ordered.

Tithing to the Kingdom -

We are looking to donate $300 towards the new Kingdom shade fly as well as
another $300 to their Highness's travel fund. This was be the 2nd
discussion. Both of these tithings would be done at events with the shade
fly possibly at Val Day and their Highness's travel fund at Crown or
Coronation. Everyone at the meeting is still in agreement with both of these
tithings.

Youth Fighting investigation of what is needed -

Next step for the group is to have the parents of the interested kids get
together and start talking. The Barony needs to have enough interested kids
(and parents) in order to get this initiative off the ground. If any parent
is interested in leading this discussion, please let me know.

Baronial Ballista -

There is a budget proposal of $45 for purchasing new ballista plans. The old
plans have been lost and also the current plans for sale are updated to
match current regulations. The group has at least 3 people that are very
interested in manning a ballista crew. While there were some at the meeting
that do not care for combat archery/siege combat, no objections were made to
the budget proposal. This was the second discussion on this budget proposal.

Baronial Chirurgeon -

There has been a change/update to Kingdom law where the office of Chirurgeon
is now required for all baronies. However, due to the large number of groups
that do not currently have the office filled and the fact that it can take a
long time for a person to become a warranted Chirurgeon, baronies may ask
for a variance. Genoveva has talked with the regional Chirurgeon and she may
be able to "fast track" her warrant. She would still need to do a training
process of at least 3 events, so even quickly, it may take a bit to
complete. In the meantime, to make sure we are in compliance with Kingdom
law, Finn has requested a variance for the Barony to the Kingdom Chirurgeon.
A question came up on what is the liability of a Chirurgeon when treating
people. This will be researched and answered at an upcoming meeting.

MoAS website updates -

Lady Arina will be updating the MoAS section of the cynnabar.org website as
well as adding more details on A&S activities to the calendar as well to
help provide easier access to information on all the A&S activities going
on. She will also be looking to start a blog on the A&S page as well. She
checked with our Web Minister and there are no restrictions to the blog.

New Business

Fixing loaner leg armor proposal -

>From our Knight Marshal Gregoire:

Problem:  The current loaner gear uses leg armor that is made entirely of
plastic. While this is protective and effective on the large plates, the
knees have begun to crack and are no longer safe. Furthermore, the original
design used a "soft" articulated knee cop - in other words, a single
floating poleyn was mounted on straps/padding underneath which was in turn
attached to the plates above and below the joint. This is not the safest
configuration for protecting the sides of the knee as the armor can be
pushed either completely out of the way or easily pushed into the side of
the knee transferring a substantial portion of the impact to the joint.

Suggested Solution: Bokalo's Armory makes inexpensive, safe aluminum joint
armor which can be purchased and attached to the existing cuisse and greave
plates. For our purposes I suggest the 4 lame knees in satin finish. The new
armor will only be slightly heavier, but significantly more durable and
protective. Shipping from Bokalo is estimated at 7-10 days. The barony has
done business with him in the past and has been satisfied with both his
products and his service.

Cost: $90/pair * 3 pairs = $270 +shipping.

A couple of questions/concerns was raised.

-          Is there a warranty?

-          A concern was brought up by Ranthulfr about using aluminum as a
material. A question of could this be done out of stainless steel instead of
aluminum and how much would that cost be?

Some other questions/concerns were brought up about the rest of the loaner
armor about fit and closures. These can be reviewed and addressed possibly
by some basic armor repairs/tweaks to make the loaner gear work better.

Announcements:

- Next Baronial business meeting will be on Jan. 23rd.

- Officer reports to the group are due on the 4th Monday of the month.
Please either plan on giving them at the meeting or send a note that can be
read at the meeting.

- Lady Arina wants to know what workshops people want to see or what
workshops they would like to teach. Please contact Lady Arina if interested.

- Lady Arina also wants to know if anyone would be interested in a Golden
Seamstress boot camp. Please contact Lady Arina if interested.

- Lord Vincent has LOTS of mason jars available for free for those
interested in canning or other mason jar uses. See Lord Vincent for details.