[Cynnabar] Meeting Location

Kell Carnahan via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Wed Aug 12 18:55:40 UTC 2015

University of Michigan policies (at least, as of last December, when I
stopped being the person to reserve rooms):  12 rooms per building per
semester.

We currently use the Michigan Union for the mass meeting and fight
practices, and the League for dance practices.  Dance practices were held
in Pierpont Commons, on North Campus, until Pierpont had a ton of
construction all last summer and we moved it to the League.  I imagine that
construction was finished last fall.

We could use Pierpont Commons for meeting spaces throughout the entire
year.  Pierpont Commons, being smaller than the Union and the League, only
allows clubs to register rooms out as far in advance as the clubs are
registered (the Union and the League lets us do this over a year in
advance, which I would do to make sure we got the prime locations we
wanted).  This just means that Hattie (our current room register person)
would have to make sure to re-register the student club as early as
possible during the summer months, so that we could try and get room space
past September 30 (when student clubs end if they aren't re-registered
every year).  As long as I did this early enough in the summer, I
registered dance practice without much problem.  The website where one
checks room space changed (I just checked), and I can no longer access it
(it's no longer open to the public, how annoying), so I have no idea if
there is Monday evening space available starting next month.  But it may be
a good option going forward in the future, and Hattie could find out what
availability there is with a quick phone call.

Parking is usually the issue cited when wondering about using University
rooms.  There is a lot available within a couple blocks walk to Pierpont
Commons that is only enforced until 5 pm: Lot NC43 on the map (
http://pts.umich.edu/maps/north_medical.pdf).  Here is the website of
enforcement, if you're curious about when the other lots are enforced:
http://pts.umich.edu/parking/enforcement-nc.php.  For example, the lot a
little closer to Pierpont, NC27, is enforced until 8 pm and wouldn't suit
our purposes.  NC43 is a pretty short walk, though, and it would mean a
meeting place that fits most other criteria listed.

   - *Availability on Monday evenings from 7:00-9:00 pm*: might not be
   available this semester (if already booked), but could be arranged for
   future semesters.  Hattie needs to call and ask.  The semester hasn't
   started, so maybe there's space for us still.
   - *Space for up to 25 people to sit together*: Yes
   - *No charge (or low cost) for us to use*: Yes - as long as we keep the
   student club going, which is why Festifall (and Northfest... aren't we also
   doing Northfest???) is so important!
   - *Quiet atmosphere where everyone can hear:* Yes
   - *Convenient parking:* Fairly close by for free
   - *Central location in Cynnabar:* Yes
   - *Food and drink (for those who otherwise don't have a chance to eat
   after work):* No.  Or, at least, not openly.  We're officially not
   allowed to bring in outside food and drink, because the University likes to
   make people use their catering, which costs money.
   - *No pressure on anyone to spend money:* Yes

I support going back to meeting on campus, as soon as we can get the room
space available.  It's nice not to have the pressure to spend money, and
being on campus means we have more flexibility with the room space to hold
workshops and whatnot that don't fit well in a restaurant.  It's also
quiet.  But I also don't go to many meetings myself, so others' opinions
should probably hold more weight than my own.

Hattie just emailed me a couple days ago that she was re-registering the
club, which I imagine went smoothly (it's not hard, as long as you have the
10 students and 3 authorized signers already confirmed).  She'll have to
make a phone call about current Monday evening availability of rooms,
and/or log into the online system to find that out.  (Hattie: Here's the
website with contact info and room info about reserving rooms at Pierpont
Commons: http://uunions.umich.edu/pierpont/meeting/events).

That's what I know.  Feel free to ask me any questions about concerns I
didn't cover.
~Birke
4 years of UM Room Reserving Experience :)