[Cynnabar] 20151109 Meeting Minutes

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Thu Nov 12 14:16:25 UTC 2015

 20151109 Barony of Cynnabar

*Center Room*, Pierpont Commons. NOTE ROOM CHANGE

*Activity, Event & Demo Reports*

*Bardic Madness:  *Kasha & Ermenrich.  Small event.  Challenges issued for
the day.  Evening revel/ concerts were in log cabin Lodge on campus.  A
good singing space.  Really good performances all day.

*Grand Day of Tournaments (Saturday November 7th, 2015) *

*Johannes, Steward.* “Entertained a few friends last weekend.”  Count was
281 including children.

John Freeman, Building Supervisor said, “Can’t thank you enough.  It’s
great when people treat the building as their own.”  He was impresses with
our cleanup and our accommodation for the Theater performance, quick
departure from the lunch room to allow them to take over.

The procession of prizes made an impression.

*Set up* went well, managed by *Gavriil*.  We need to have a bridging
member to connect the two sets of bleachers and make the draperies go up
better instead of scrounging a piece of wood at the last minute (Aefe).  If
there is to be a separate hanging for that spot we must make in long enough
to match the Armorial Walls (Kay).

*Jason Irenfist, Heavy Marshal*.  At least 38 fighters signed in.  He
thinks more fought, that missed the cutoff time for the pool Tourney.  He
says they DID sign the waiver.  Jason would love one more list field.  Not
enough Heralds, unlike last year.  Should recruit 4-5 in advance.

*Youth Combat:* anyone have that count?  Johannes pointed out to His
Majesty that there was youth combat, and he quickly and enthusiastically
when and held the field in that list, to the great enjoyment of the kids;
several dramatic deaths, and to Kay’s eye a great spectator sport.

*Birke, Marshall of Defense.* 46 adult Rapier Waivers signed, 4 youth.  The
30’x60’ was just enough space.  Could do more with more space.  Cut and
Thrust was very popular.  She has ideas for that area for next year. Having
an open pickups list allowed everyone who wished to have more bouts.  Bothe
the King and Queen came and held the field in the morning.

*Grey, Thrown Weapons.  *Range open from 9 to 3: 45 when a shower of rain
closed things a few minutes early.  Their Majesties came out, along with 26
people who signed waivers and threw axes and spears.  Atlatl and Darts were
popular. Perhaps the Barony should invest in an Atlatl set to allow more
people to try this.  Many thanks to Brother Bart and Forester Dillon who
assisted with set up, teardown and marshalling.  Loaner targets and
equipment were all returned to Dillon’s estate Saturday night.

*Daye, Royalty Liaison*.  No problems. Princesses Royal loved the baskets
of gifts.  Nice use of the space, everything flowed smoothly.  The Surprise
Cake was a bit of a complication.

*Genoveva, Deputy Steward.*  Praise to Genoveva for the Website.  Discussion
of how much that influences some people’s decisions to go to an event.

*Constance, Parking.*  No issues.  Main flow of arrivals was in about 2
hours.  The Farmer’s Market customers waved.  It was cold.  She was
grateful for the loan of Johannes’s cloak.

*Heidi, Lunch Chef, with Hannah.* Report from several: Tavern made
money.  Princess
Royal Linette (?) came and helped.  She enjoyed making hummus.  Godeth had
the idea to take over *Food for Combatants*.  She moved that to Hall so
they did not need to go down to the Tavern. And she liked the camp space
that gives you. She suggests this post be created as a Deputy to the Chef,
and remember to include Rapier community in the word that this is available.
Might want to still have 2 tables, says Kay.

*Peter and Ceara, Gate.*  There were no Gate issues. Total receipts were
not available.  Kay suggests we push Gate tables aside or tear down, once
we stop taking admissions, at least before Court, to allow smoother exits
of people and gear at the end of the evening.

*Angoletta, Constable.* Johannes reports she made patrols inside and out,
saw no prohibited activities, and did not find anything forbidden indicated
in the trash.  Grey said he was challenged for his artisanal Root Beer
because it was in a brown glass bottle.  Good!

*Teardown, Aefe.*  It was auick and quiet.  All staging of list and floor
part made this smooth.  The cake did affect traffic and timing, but we were
all out at 7:30.  Aefe suggests the set up and teardown person should be
the same because she got questions about what goes into what box, etc, and
did not know because she had not been in charge Friday.

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Ann Arbor Christian School Demo, (Thursday December 10, 2015) 6:30 pm.  *
Coordinator: Daye. Site: 5500 Whitmore Lake Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105

This is a *Performance Demo* with *Community Outreach* overtones.  The
organizers want everything we can do.  Our team will be providing
atmosphere. As in the past there will be a Green Room for us to prepare and
wait, and times for each performance activity.

We need to recruit Fencers, Fighters, Dancers.  Kasha has signed up
Singers. Dance is the audience participation activity, so hopefully we can
get people with multiple skills (Like Midair, said someone, as an example.  He
can fight, fence, and dance! Kay suggests he bring his balls and do some
tableside Jestering, if he can be persuaded. Truely a man of Parts.)

*Wassail* (*Saturday* *December 12, 2015) – *Steward: Eddy. Site: Chelsea
Fairgrounds.  4 pm start. Budget $575.

·         Theme:  “Light vs. Dark”  Feel free to dress to the idea or the
contrasts.

·         Set up Friday 12/11 in the evening. Time TBD.

·         What will be happening that day?

o   4-5:30  Meet, mingle, set tables.

o   A Cookie Contest, to be judged by passing a clipboard during feast.

o   5:30-7:00 Potluck Feast

o   7:30 Court

§  A play to be performed on the Theme “Light vs. Dark in their eternal
struggle.”

§  Carol singing?

·         Site is Wet

·         Please bring a Surge Protector if at all possible if you are
using electrical appliances.  It will help to have several.

·         Closing time:  _____  Clean up and Depart by:______

*Terpsichore at the Tower (March 5, 2016)* St Paul United Church of Christ,
Saline, MI Ceara is event steward. Budget $1000. Breakeven 84 Adults.

Staff Meeting Wed 11/11 at Midair and Alina’s.

*St. Cecilia at the Tower (Sat April 30- Sun May 1, 2016)* St Paul United
Church of Christ, Saline, MI Mistress Jadwiga is event steward.  Budget
$400.

*Old Business*

*Search for Minster of Arts and Sciences:*

·         Critical to have office filled.  Quarterly reports are the 1st
duty.  All else is at the applicant’s choice.

·         Presentations of candidates at *the Monday Meeting. Second
Meeting of November, 11/16 at 7 pm. *

·         We have 1 interested person at this time.

*Search for Minster of Youth Office*:

·         No discussion on 11/9/15

·         Requires a background check.  See Midrealm Website for more info:
http://www.midrealm.org/mkyouth/

·         Candidates may present their ideas at the first meeting in
December, 12/14

·         http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/youth_combat.php if a Martial
approach to Youth Activities interests you.

*We have space to add activities on Mondays.  1st of 3 meetings*, A
discussion about adding a half hour BEFORE the 7 pm meeting time.  Ideas?

*Defining Baronial Activities;* *Improving our required record keeping.*   *2nd
of 3 discussions*

·         *No discussion on 11/9/15 *Still *2nd of 3 discussions*

·         Baroness Kasha has emailed a link to a document that explains the
issue, policies, and actions we as a Consensus Governed group need to take
to follow policy.  Here it is again.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wfo70xPt5wwwe_Qz-UZ-d6Enh54ou5x6acQF1e9o74k/edit

·         How best to communicate and preserve this data for future
stewards?

·

·         Some discussion of creating a checklist for Stewards led to
asking if such existed.  KSen, DKSen/ Waivers and DKSen/ Events all say no
current or recent “Autocrat’s Handbook” exists.  They would be pleased to
see one created and would help us find experienced reviewers to review and
comment on a draft.

·

*Are we Approving and Preparing correctly for Demos?  2nd of 3 discussions*

·         *No discussion on 11/9/15 *Still *2nd of 3 discussions*

·         Several demos recently seem to have not had enough support to be
successful. The timing was not good for our membership or interesting.  How
should we get support?

·         What is the Value to the requesting group for our presence? What
are they asking for and what will we be providing?

·         Can we classify the kinds of Demos we do?  Ideas included

o   *Performance Demo*

o   *Community Outreach*

o   *Recruiting *

o   *Educational*

·         What is “Payback” to BoC for doing each particular demo?

*New Business*

Student Engagement on Campus.

Ideas:

·         Teach in:  Arrange for student invitation to a space they arrange
in a residence hall or classroom, take a Road Show of short topics about
being in and enjoying the SCA.

·         Welcome to the SCA Day:  Like the Japanese Persona Day.

·         Library Tour.  Where are the books you may want to find?

·         Everything you need to know o attend and enjoy and Event.  Prep
for a specific event like Val Day and arrange rides, loaner gear, etc. to
help students have a great time.

Kay says, some years back these descriptions and discussions would happen
at Mass Meeting or The A&S hour before the business meeting:

·         What is Heraldry and how to get your own.

·         Fashion Show of different eras of clothing. What would you like
to wear?

·         What do you need to know and do to authorize and fight Heavy
Weapons or Rapier?

·         Rank and Symbolism in the Society:  Who is that person in the
Crown?

Offer the Business Meeting space for students in particular to meet and do
Stuff they plan:  They could take it over after Business meeting, since
they stay up late. J

*Hattie:  Can you find a better space and time for such activities?*

*Purchase water and vermin-proof Banker’s File Boxes for storage of
Cynnabar Files.*  Budget:  $48-70, depending on how many we need.

The 2 drawer cabinet may be 20+ years old.  *Finn* reports it is rusty,
beat up.

I like Office Depot® Brand Stackable File Tote Box, Letter/Legal Size, 10
13/16"H x 14 1/8"W x 18"D, Clear/Magenta Item # 225624m, after a quick
search.

*Shall the Barony donate $250 of Baronial Funds to support 50 Year
Celebration in July?  *Consensus of those present was very positive.  This
will go through the 3 meeting process. The incentive is 2 tickets to the
Founder’s Ball at 50 Year.  The Barony may sell, raffle, award or give
those out in any whay that we choose.

No date for this Ball is on the 50 Year site on 11/12.  More data, please,
Excellencies.

*Will Pierpont Commons be open for meetings* between semesters in December?
PC Rooms NO!  Either hold Officer Reports on 12/21 or find another venue.

*Other Group Discussion*

*Will there be a Gift Exchange?*  Yes.  We need to decide at what Meeting.  NOT
at Wassail as not all wish to participate and that would be exclusionary.

*When is Jason’s Vigil?*  Uncertain at this time.  Idea:  Provide “Lion
Food!”

*Words from Their Excellencies Ermenrich and Kasha of Cynnabar**: *

MOVED to New Business.

*Status check on Approved Budget Items:  *

·   *Youth box* – continues

·   *Stickers with the Baronial Populace Badge* (and maybe name?) $60-100

o   Gavriil potential sketch in December.

·   *Baronial Trailer dedicated for List Field* is on target for *delivery
around 11/20*. $3500-$3950              Black, 5’x12’ single axle covered
trailer 6 feet tall, lights, inside and out, hitch kit.

*Announcements*

*Meeting adjourned at _8:39_ pm*