[Cynnabar] 20151116 Barony of Cynnabar Meeting

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Wed Nov 18 14:02:29 UTC 2015

 Greetings!

The most important item in these minutes may be *finding a site for
December meetings after Pierpont closes *for semester break.  Please post
your ideas to the Baronial email list. I have no ideas, though I could host
a typical meeting in my living room if necessary, and I will be unable to
drive, so...

Thanks,

Kay
20151116 Barony of Cynnabar

Center Room, Pierpont Commons.

*Activity, Event & Demo Reports*

*Cooking Symposium: 10/31*.  Hanna and Ilse attended.  Great site, but only
40-6- attendees.  There is hope to repeat the event a restart the series of
cooking events that took place in the past.  There were many classes in
several tracks, including Redacting recipes, Rabbit Butchery several
hands-on and in-the-kitchen classes.  Great Potluck dinner.

*GDoT Additional Report*: Site Cost: Corrected to $1250.

Johannes sent out the details of the Youth Combat activities at GDoT.  Please
consider this as a gateway activity if being Minster of Youth for Cynnabar
is interesting to you.  SEE Old Business, below.

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Ann Arbor Christian School Demo, (Thursday December 10, 2015) 6:30 pm.  *
Coordinator:* Ceara* Site: 5500 Whitmore Lake Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105

This is a *Performance Demo* with *Community Outreach* overtones.  The
organizers want everything we can do.  Our team will be providing
atmosphere. As in the past there will be a Green Room for us to prepare and
wait, and times for each performance activity.

We have recruited so far 2 Fencers, 3 Fighters.  Dancers recruiting was
going on at the Terp Meeting last week.  No number reported.  Kasha has
signed up Singers. Dance is the audience participation activity, so
hopefully we can get people with multiple skills.

Write to Ceara if you can attend and do a specific activity.
ceara.steph at gmail.com

*Wassail* (*Saturday* *December 12, 2015) – *Steward: Eidy. Site: Chelsea
Fairgrounds.  4 pm start. Budget $575.

·         Theme:  “Light vs. Dark”  Feel free to dress to the idea or the
contrasts.

·         Set up Friday 12/11 in the evening. Time TBD.

·         What will be happening that day?

o   4-5:30  Meet, mingle, set tables.

o   A Cookie Contest, to be judged by passing a clipboard during feast.

o   5:30-7:00 Potluck Feast

§  7:30 Court:  A play to be performed on the Theme “Light vs. Dark in
their eternal struggle.” Carol singing?

·         Site is Wet

·         Please bring a Surge Protector if at all possible if you are
using electrical appliances.  It will help to have several.

·         Closing time:  _____  Clean up and Depart by:______

*Terpsichore at the Tower (March 5, 2016)* St Paul United Church of Christ,
Saline, MI Ceara is event steward. Budget $1000. Breakeven 84 Adults.

Report from Staff Meeting Wed 11/11: staff is lining up teachers.

*St. Cecilia at the Tower (Sat April 30- Sun May 1, 2016)* St Paul United
Church of Christ, Saline, MI Mistress Jadwiga is event steward.  Budget
$400. Breakeven 67 Adults.

No News

*Old Business*

*Search for Minster of Arts and Sciences:*

·         Aeffe Torsdottir (mka Margaret Kelly) offered herself for this
position, and was accepted enthusiastically by the meeting.

·         Her plans for the future  will unfold as she settles into the
position.

·         Write her at megrust at umich.edu until the MOAS email has changed
hands.

*Search for Minster of Youth Office*:  No Applicants yet!

·         Requires a background check.  See Midrealm Website for more info:
http://www.midrealm.org/mkyouth/

·         Candidates may present their ideas at the first meeting in
December, 12/14

·         http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/youth_combat.php if a Martial
approach to Youth Activities interests you.

*Defining Baronial Activities;* *Improving our required record keeping.*   *2nd
of 3 discussions*

·         Baroness Kasha has emailed a link to a document that explains the
issue, policies, and actions we as a Consensus Governed group need to take
to follow policy.  Here it is again.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wfo70xPt5wwwe_Qz-UZ-d6Enh54ou5x6acQF1e9o74k/edit

·         How best to communicate and preserve this data for future
stewards?

·         Kay and some others are working on a document or checklist to
help Stewards keep track of things they need to oversee, with perhaps a
timeline of recommended actions.

·         NOTE that this will be a Helpful Tool, created by people with
some experience, NOT a Policy of Cynnabar.

·         If it is general enough it will be shared with the MK Seneschals.
KSen, DKSen/ Waivers and DKSen/ Events all say no current or recent
“Autocrat’s Handbook” exists.  They would be pleased to see one created and
would help us find experienced reviewers to review and comment on a draft.

*Are we Approving and Preparing correctly for Demos?  2nd of 3 discussions *

·         Apparently this discussion happens every few years.  I know I
recall it from the 1990s.

·         As it may have been a reaction from one demo’s difficulties the
discussion may have died off.  No policy change is planned at this time.

·         See 11/09 notes for a recap of that discussion.  This week only
discussion was on why we were having this discussion.

*New Member Engagement, Activities on Campus. 2nd of 3 meetings*

*A Cynnabar Year list* *of activities and events on the Website* was
proposed as a way to remind ourselves what is coming up.  It would be a
resource for newer members.

*Aaron *will be asked to place it on the Website.*  Can you please do this
Aaron? Do you want someone to compose the list?*

Ideas:  This brainstorm list was generated 11/9.

·         Teach in:  Arrange for student invitation to a space they arrange
in a residence hall or classroom, take a Road Show of short topics about
being in and enjoying the SCA.

·         Welcome to the SCA Day:  Like the Japanese Persona Day.

·         Library Tour.  Where are the books you may want to find?

·         Everything you need to know o attend and enjoy and Event.  Prep
for a specific event like Val Day and arrange rides, loaner gear, etc. to
help students have a great time.

Kay says, some years back these descriptions and discussions would happen
at Mass Meeting or The A&S hour before the business meeting:

·         What is Heraldry and how to get your own.

·         Fashion Show of different eras of clothing. What would you like
to wear?

·         What do you need to know and do to authorize and fight Heavy
Weapons or Rapier?

·         Rank and Symbolism in the Society:  Who is that person in the
Crown?

Offer the *Business Meeting space for students* in particular to meet and
do Stuff they plan:  They could take it over after Business meeting, since
they stay up late. J

*Hattie:  **Can you find a better space and time for such activities? *

*Pre Meeting Activities on Mondays.  * *2nd of 3 meetings* A discussion
about adding a half hour BEFORE the 7 pm meeting time.

Ideas?  Several items from the list above were restated.  Plus:

·         SCA Stories

·         A show and tell of Armored combatant’s equipment and weapons.

·         Book Club.  Kay offers to start it with a general discussion of
Fiction or Nonfiction we think of as Good Medieval Books. If attendees can
agree on a book to read this could be a monthly thing.

*Baroness Hannah* has said she will start a list of activities for such a
pre meeting get together.  Please contact her if you can moderate, lead or
teach a session.  We will start in January.

*Purchase water and vermin-proof Banker’s File Boxes for storage of
Cynnabar Files.*  Budget:  $100. *2nd of 3 meetings*

·         The 2 drawer cabinet may be 20+ years old.  *Finn* reports it is
rusty, beat up.

·         I like Office Depot® Brand Stackable File Tote Box, Letter/Legal
Size, 10 13/16"H x 14 1/8"W x 18"D, Clear/Magenta Item # 225624m, after a
quick search. $15.49 online.

·         No objections.  Budget firmed up to a ceiling of $100

*Shall the Barony donate $250 of Baronial Funds to support 50 Year
Celebration in July?  2nd of 3 meetings *

·         Consensus of those present was very positive.  This will go
through the 3 meeting process.

·         The incentive is 2 tickets to the Founder’s Ball at 50 Year.  The
Barony may sell, raffle, award or give those out in any way that we choose.
No date for this Ball is on the 50 Year site on 11/12.

·         No disagreement

*Will there be a Gift Exchange?*  *Yes*.  We need to decide at what Meeting.

·         No conclusions.

*New Business*

*Need a site for 12/21 and 12/28 Meetings.  Pierpont Commons is closed*
between semesters in December.

·         Please suggest a site!

·         Want to hold Officer Reports on 12/21 and cancel 12/28 meeting?

*Vincent is willing to design and build *whatever is needed to facilitate
bridging the bleachers and for setting up the Cynnabar Heraldic wall
hangings.   I said, “I imagine we need a thin bridging member, with either
clamps or brackets to keep it in place on top of the bleacher seats, since
we will not be able to bolt it through the bleachers.  Then add either
hardware or tie-ons to attach fabric, or support a banner on a stretcher
bar.”

Vincent and I will look at the bleachers some Friday soon if I can get
contact info for John Freeman, the building supervisor

He also said: “…if it is decided that we want parts to make yet another
list field, I can do that.  It probably will cost about $125.00 (just an
off the cuff estimate).

Want to design indoor Portable Holes to make freestanding places to display
banners and other heraldry?  Vincent is interested in design ideas.  Kay
may have a useful sample in the basement somewhere.

*Other Group Discussion*

*Words from Their Excellencies Ermenrich and Kasha of Cynnabar**: *

Shall we make a Royal Travel Fund Donation?  General agreement.  How much?
This will go on to New Business next week.  Perhaps do the gift at
Terpsichore?

*Status check on Approved Budget Items:  *

·   *Youth box* – continues

·   *Stickers with the Baronial Populace Badge* (and maybe name?) $60-100

o   Gavriil potential sketch in December.

·   *Baronial Trailer dedicated for List Field* is on target for *delivery
around 11/20*. $3500-$3950              Black, 5’x12’ single axle covered
trailer 6 feet tall, lights, inside and out, hitch kit.

*Announcements:*

*From the Exchequer:  *We must keep good records of all moneys coming into
Cynnabar as well as what goes out.  There is a detailed procedure and
record keeping guide in the cash boxes for event Gate Tables.  Please read.

All Event Shoppers need to have *a copy of the Tax Number document* when
you go to the store.  See the Exchequer (well ahead of time, please) when
you are planning shopping for an event.

*Room for Meetings is booked for the following Dates:*

11/23/2015

12/14/2015, *Need location for 2nd and 3rd meetings OR Cancel one or both*

1/11/2016, 1/18/2016, 1/25/2016

2/8/2016, 2/15/2016, 2/22/2016

3/14/2016, 3/21/2016, 3/28/2016

4/11/2016, 4/18/2016, 4/25/2016