[Cynnabar] Changing the 100 Mile event rule- From KSen, February AS L

Matt Lagemann via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Wed Jan 27 14:44:32 UTC 2016

I agree with Godaeth's statement that we should be able to vote with our
feet and our dollars instead of increasing the radius.

This proposal also seems to punish smaller events so that larger events can
stay solvent.  For instance GDoT requires about 150+ attendees to be
considered successful, both financially and to live up to the shared vision
of that event.  St. Cecelia on the other hand really only requires half
that amount to do the same thing.  So St. C does not need to worry as much
about conflicting with other events as GDoT does.  And I know we can all
think of other events that are so big that they would need double (or
more!) of what GDoT needs in order to make money.

In my opinion there are too many events out there, and many of them are not
worth going to even though they are within the 100 -150 mile range.  I
think what groups need to do is figure out how they can make their event
more attractive to those around them (offering crash space to entice
farther travel, build up hype for the event, have an updated website well
before the event, being something unique, have a budget more in line with
event attendance, etc) instead of relying on Kingdom law to make them the
only game in town.

Sincerely,
Ermenrich