[Cynnabar] 20170911 business meeting notes

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Mon Sep 18 20:54:16 UTC 2017

September 11, 2017  Barony of Cynnabar Business Meeting Notes

Journey of Faith Christian Church, Ann Arbor, MI

Pre-meeting workshop 6:30-7:30: 10 attendees

Meeting 7:30- 8:30: 20 attendees

Attending: Derian, Hattie, Tairdelbach, Malachy, Kasha, Claire, Jadzia,
Ermenrich, Godhit, Aeffe, Morwen, Kay, Fairfax, Eadraed, Albina, Jack,
Daye, Genoveva, Ede, Ionis
*Workshop Topic:*

* Book club! Join us for the discussion of "The Legend of Sigurd and
Gudrun", by J.R.R. Tolkien (with additional material by his son,
Christopher Tolkien) led by Mistress Kay.  You need not have read the book
to attend!* Business Meeting began at 7:30p.m.

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Canton Library Demo*

September the 17th, 1pm – 3pm, setup begins at noon, teardown as needed
afterward, dinner social hour afterward!  If you know you are able to go,
please contact Alanna and let her know what you will do.  There is a
Facebook event set up.  Same space as last year, community room + outdoor
area near the entrance.  Possibly thrown weapons, but waiting on approval
from the library.

*Cook’s Symposium October 13, 14 & 15, 2017 *St Paul’s Church of Christ,
Saline MI. *Baroness Hannah, Steward. Budget $525; breakeven 66 attendees*

THL Ceara has placed a form on Facebook in both the Barony page and the
Crash and Pool page.  One person has contacted her so far.  If you can
offer overnight space to Cooks’ Symposium attendees, please contact Ceara.

·         Hotel block booked, comfort inn and suites, ten rooms

o   In process of updating website

·         Sunday activity – Brewery Becker confirmed!  Behind the scenes
brewery tour.  Historic beers and other cool stuff!  They are excited about
us coming.  Tour starts at noon

·         Business cards advertising the event are available, please pass
them out!

·         Still looking for people to teach

·         Staff meeting was held on 8/27/17 – lots of great classes, period
pottery merchant possibly coming from Northshield, wants to teach a class
using his stuff, people from East kingdom also interested in coming.
Several tracks including one for beginners

*Grand Day of Tournaments- Nov 4, 2017 *Liberty School, Saline MI.*
Mistress Genoveva Steward. Budget $2260; breakeven 174 (may
change)            *

·         *Site is reserved. *Deposit is not required because we have been
diligent at paying on time.  They will bill us after the event.

·         Staff meeting occurred!  Everything is going well, setup and
teardown volunteer needed!  Please let mistress Genoveva know.  Another
staff meeting will occur in October.

·         There will be a vigil!  Parking lot has been resurfaced and
reorganized; more parking spots in front of the building.

·         School has confirmed we have three meeting rooms, for royalty /
scribal, meetings, and A&S

*Old Business*

*Cynnabar Ruby Jubilee*: Need event proposal.  Date has been submitted to
the calendar deputy.

·         Preliminary website up.

·         If you  are interested in helping out or taking a staff position
please contact Baroness Kasha

*Officer vacancies to be filled:*

1.       Minister of Youth– Still seeking a Minister of Youth

*New Business* (includes items potentially requiring budget outlays)

*Wassail, December 16th 2017, Chelsea fairgrounds,* *Albina Gherardi
(Bina), $850 (including $200 refundable deposit) *Cost is same as last year
$400, will cover site fee, insurance (for alcohol), decorations (including
elephants!).  The site not available on the 9th , Dec 16th  does not
conflict with Yule in Toledo.  Deposit due in October ($150?)

Bad news: Chelsea fairgrounds wants much more money, $750, plus a deposit.
We are looking at other sites.  Grange is not available due to being
previously booked (and it is a bit small).  Looking at Wayne county
fairgrounds, it is in a shared zip code.  Date is scheduled (Dec 16th),
$450 for the day, plus a $200 refundable deposit.  We can still have our
Yule fire.

Given the site change, let’s talk about this for a couple more meetings.
First of three meetings

*Potential new Ann Arbor location for business meetings.*  Fairfax
recommends the Journey of Faith church, located at 1900 Manchester Rd, Ann
Arbor, MI (Near Washtenaw and E Stadium).  This site has a kitchen
available, and the room we could use is about three times the size of the
upstairs room in Sidetrack.  The site has a real elevator inside, and 30 or
40 parking spots available in church parking lot.  There is a bus stop a
two minute walk away.

We propose to offer the following arrangement in exchange for a meeting
site for September – December:

·         $250 payment to purchase supplies for hygiene bags (toilet paper,
toothbrushes, etc) for needy folks

·         One pre-meeting workshop per month dedicated to filling bags with
supplies

·         Target of 150 bags filled by the Barony with supplies provided by
the church by the end of the year

·         Collect supplies (non-perishable food, hygiene supplies, school
supplies) at Cook’s Symposium and Grand Day of Tournaments

*APPROVED*

*Lunch Tavern at Grand Day of Tournaments* – *$600, Lady Ilse*, $6 a
head, break
even 100 meals.  Similar menu to last year.  $500 original proposal, bumped
up to $600 by group, may need to plan to feed more folks since we will have
Royalty at the event.   First of three meetings.

*New event.  Ancient Imaginings: An Exhibition of Modern Photography - $500
Lady Daye, November 2018, Riverside Art Center, Ypsilanti MI.  *Month long
display of SCA photography, plus a wine and cheese reception.  $200 fee for
the show, $275 for wine + cheese + napkins, $25 for Informational PR cards
to stay at the Riverside Art Center for the month.  Per exchequer handbook,
the group cannot spend funds on wine, except for small amounts for
cooking.  Could we arrange extra hours for the weekend of GDoT?  Should not
plan the have the gala too close to GDoT.  First of three meetings

*School year has started again!* Lady Harriet of Cynnabar. Fest of fall was
last Friday, thank you to everyone who contributed time and stuff.  We got
48 new signups! We would like to hold a small demo for the new students.
Anderson room is already booked for September 24th, 12pm-4pm.  This is
coronation weekend, following weekend is Vikings come home.  Pizza and
videos provided by the student group account.  Look for an announcement on
Facebook.

*Ypsi GLOW, community unity event / parade / block party, Friday October
27th.*  Lady Edona – do we want to do a demo at this event?  We could do a
parade + table with information.  There are also workshops every Sunday
afternoon in October 11am-3pm.  Follow-up meeting with event organizer
scheduled.

*Status check on approved budget items*

*Lunch tavern at cook’s symposium, Baroness Hannah for Renaude de Lunay,
$425*

*Dame Ursula / Lord Eadraed, Heralds. $100 ($36 disbursed 11/21/16, $32
disbursed 2/20/17, $16 disbursed 7/10/17) $26 remains to be spent. *Lord
Eadraed reported that the registration process is continuing.

First batch of items have gone through, three order names accepted,
Elephant’s tusk is pending

*Announcements** & Group Discussion*

*Announcement/Reminder:  Wassail & 2018 events:  *It's time to start
thinking about Wassail!  We need to reserve the site at Chelsea if we want
it.  We need a date and a reservation.  Also Terpsichore and St. Cecilia
need to be placed on the calendar.  Wassail is a good event to try out
being an event steward.

Now is the time to start working on your prizes for Grand Day of
Tournaments!  If you are going to make something by hand, start now!  If
you can get pictures of your donation, they can be very effective publicity
for the event.

Forester Godhit: Closing of the range is probably not happening this year
due to a highly compressed schedule in the fall.   Citadel deadline is
coming up!  Please send things to Forester Godhit!  Due date is September
15th.

Jadwiga is expecting!  Due date is April 5th.  She will not be running St
Cecilia!  She will be happy to help, but likely cannot attend.  If no one
steps forward we will take a year off.

Meeting ended:  8:35 p.m.

[Next Meeting:  Monday September 18th, 2017, at Journey of Faith
church in Ann Arbor]