[Cynnabar] 20170522 Business meeting notes

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Thu May 25 22:09:49 UTC 2017

20170522 Barony of Cynnabar Business Meeting Notes

Sidetrack Bar & Grill, Ypsilanti

Workshop at 6:30 pm.  _12 _ attendees

Meeting 7:30- 8:30. _ 18_ attendees.

Attending: Derian, Ermenrich, Aeffe, Gray, Godhit, Morwen, Johannes,
Tairdelbach, Gavriil, Kasha, Ionis, Harkin, Zygmunt, Straum, Kay, Jadzia,
Martin, Alana

*Workshop Topics:** Tonight was: **Heralding 2.0, with Baron Ermenrich.
Take your heralding to the next level! Make yourself heard without hurting
yourself!* Ask Baroness Kasha if you would like some reinforcement and
encouragement to give your class on something that interests you.

Meeting began at _ 7:30 _pm.

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Celtic Fest Demo Saturday July 15, 2017 Demo *– Baron Tairdelbach  $100
snacks and drinks

·         Set up is the evening of Friday July 14.

·         Thrown Weapons vs archery still under discussion due to space
management / area control

Plan hammered out for thrown weapons – remaining questions?  Insufficient
staff for archery

Funds to replace axe handles that get broken may be requested

Thrown weapons it is!

Up to $50 to replace axe handles / knives / spears that might get damaged.
First of three meetings

Handles run about $7 a pop, this should cover the anticipated need

*Cook’s Symposium October 13, 14 & 15, 2017 *St Paul’s Church of Christ,
Saline MI. *Baroness Hannah $525     Breakeven 66*

·         Breakeven updated to 66

·         We are starting to schedule classes and meet with key staff
members.

·         Baroness Hannah is also soliciting bids for lunch taverns and
will be contacting people soon about that.

·         Do we have a contract with st pauls?

*Grand Day of Tournaments- Nov 4, 2017 *Liberty School, Saline MI.*
Mistress Genoveva Steward $2260 breakeven 174 (may change)           *

·         *Site is reserved. *Deposit should go to the school in July.

·         *Prize coins have been ordered!*

*Old Business*

*St Cecelia at The Tower *May 20-21* 2017 *St Paul’s Church Saline & M-Union
Anderson Rooms* Ms Jadzia. Budget $400 ($200 per 10/17 notes.) *Donations
at the Door.

            Great time, want to do it again next time!

            Made money on the event, details soon

65-70 people attended

Taverns went well: served ~45 people at lunch ~55 at dinner, about $300
spent, ~$500 in the till at the end of the night.

Midair’s vigil!  Contact Giovanna for more info, facebook group is set up
for people to help.

NOWM is looking for someone to run youth activities.  Ceara is looking for
help, if you are background checked and willing to take point to be youth
coordinator on site she will help you with getting classes set up.

Event report for Spring revel has been submitted

*A Proposed Policy for the use of the Baronial Trailer *Presented by Kay,
NO Budget.* 7th of 3 Meetings*

The Barony needs a policy to guide decisions about what we use our trailer.
The discussion Monday raised some ideas for revision.

Trailer insurance from SCA is liability only.

A full text with revisions marked up was distributed Wed 4/12 via email &
Facebook.

*Most important note from 4/17/17:  We did not think this discussion needed
to end at 3 meetings.  It is more valuable to get a consensus of the
Barony.*

*Opinion poll released, please go fill it out!*

*Trailer lining is in progress, should be done this weekend.*

*Amend the Financial Policy to say that discussions with expenditures shall
run for “at least” three (3 ) meetings.  *Baron Tairdelbach *4th of 3
meetings.  *

·         Current proposed wording is that “… additional meetings may be
added to the decision making process on a case by case basis.”

·         APPROVED – Update of financial policy in progress

*Discussion of Exchequer / event policies*

            All receipts handed in at one time – Ilse will write up a
policy for what she wants as exchequer.

            A great deal of discussion was had regarding the discretionary
funds we provide to event stewards.  We do not want to micromanage our
event stewards, but we also ought to account for costs correctly.

            No policy has been formally proposed to the Barony.

*Officer vacancies to be filled:*

1.      Minister of Youth–

*New Business* (includes items potentially requiring budget outlays)

If you have run a Cynnabar event in the past few years, please talk to
Derian.

Zygmunt has a loom, wants to give it away in trade for a suitable donation
to a foodbank, please contact him if you are interested.

*Status check on approved budget items*

*Registering the Baronial Awards and Order Names and Badges. *Mistress
Ursula, Herald. $100 ($36 disbursed 11/21) ($32 spent 2/13, disbursed 2/20)
$42 remains to be spent. Process continues, reports Eadraed.

*Exchequer Office Supplies. $50.00-$75.00  *Lady Ilse*  DONE? *Kay thinks
yes, and that costs ran over budget by a few dollars.

*Announcements** & Group Discussion*

*TRIAL RUN of Meetings at The Side Track Tap in Depot Town Ypsilanti In MAY
2017 * 5/8, 5/15, and 5/22. 56 E Cross St, Ypsilanti, MI 48198
http://sidetrackbarandgrill.com

If you are doing anything at Pennsic like running a tournament or other
event, contact Their Excellencies!  Calendar will be shared with the Barony
soon.

Next summer, 2018, 20th anniversary as a barony, 40th anniversary as an SCA
group!  The Barons and Baronesses of Cynnabar are planning an event;
September 2018.  If there is anything you think is critical for such an
awesome event, please communicate it to Their Excellencies.

*OFFICER REPORTS*

*Min A&S (Aeffe)* –

Don't forget to let Terryl know if you are interested in any of the
workshops she is offering to run at her home.  She has studio space in a
separate building, where there are tools and supplies to do glass work
(stained glass, lampwork, beads, etc.) and some other types metal and wood
crafting.  She knows a lot about these arts and is an experienced
teacher.

Anyone going to Crown Tournament this weekend should try to visit the Arts
and Sciences competition area where some of our people are exhibiting their
entries.  Check the schedule because the public viewing is allowed only
during certain times.

The next quarterly report will be in mid-July so please keep a good account
of your arts and sciences activities.  And as always contact me if there
are any workshop topics you'd like to see on the schedule or even better,
if you'd like to hold your own workshop.  Most dates are open.

*Chronicler (Godhit)* –

            1) I have received all files and paperwork from my predecessor
Lord Gavriil.

2) I am preparing a May/Jun "Officer Changeover and Spring activities"
issue of the CITADEL.

3) I am following up regarding the situation involving our CITADEL
electronic archive (issues v.1 #1-v.4 #6) and our currently-available
issues online (Apr/May 2005-Sp2017). These are actually two related
situations but potentially need to be handled separately.

4) I am compiling a Chronicler Job Description and set of Policies for
Cynnabar.

*Exchequer (Ilsa)* –

            No report

*Herald (Eadraed)* –

I. The last Herald's Meeting was held on Monday, May 1st at Baron
Tairdelbach and Baroness Hannah's home; 15 people were in attendance.

II. On behalf of Their Majesties, Kasha and Ermenrich presented the
following Kingdom-level awards at the Regency Court at St. Cecila on
Saturday, May 20th:

Baroness Simone Marie Genevive Fornneau - Order of the Willow

Alexander von Lübeck - Award of Arms

Sir Adler von Metz - Award of the Purple Fret

Lord Gregor Reinhardt von Holstein – Silver Oak

Morwen of Cynnabar - Order of the Willow

Cassandra of Cynnabar - Award of Arms

Cassandra was also given the Award of the Leaf from the Barony of
Northwoods (issued April 16, 2016).

III. Dame Ursula taught a well-attended and received class at St. Cecilia
titled: "Latin Accents in Period."

IV. Ursula and I have been working to submit additional Baronial Badges for
registration.

V. Next Herald's Night will be held at Baron Tairdelbach and Baroness
Hannah's home on Monday, June 5th from approx 6:30 pm until 10pm. This is a
potluck event, so please bring a dish to share. Also, as a reminder -- this
will be our last meeting before we take a 3 month summer break (July, Aug,
Sept.) from our formal meetings. We hope to see you there!

*Knight Marshal (Zygmunt)* –

Barony has fighting activities, switched practices from Sundays to
Thursdays, things seem to be going well generally.  Considering approaching
Midair and seeing if once a month we could do a Sunday practice.  Next
Baronial muster is at NOWM, Zygmunt is going to try pulling in people from
neighboring groups, potentially melee practice w/ neighboring groups.
Someone contacted via email about cataloging loaner gear, agreed to do so,
will be doing it in next week or so.  Someone asked about updating the
website with new practice location.

*Archery Marshal (OPEN )* –

*Fencing Marshal (William, Deputy Birke) *–

            No report.

*Chatelaine (Edonea)* –

*Events*

4/23- Spring Revel; 6 newcomers, 4 of whom borrowed garb from Gold Key.
Office officially assumed, changing officer forms and badges of office
given by TE. Chatelaine profile picture taken by Genoveva.

5/20- St. Cecelia; first time attending event, first time volunteering in a
lunch tavern (included to show building awareness of event schedule and the
diversity of interests in the group).

*Progress on Chatelaine Proposal Goals*

June 3rd; Sorting Gold Key Garb at Gold Key Storage (Daye’s house) from
12-4pm. This will including documenting size, period of style, and quality
of wear of garment. After the completion of this activity a clear
understanding of what garb must be made for a more complete loaner set will
be had. A corresponding document will be created named “Cynnabar Loaner
Garb/Gear and would include gold key garb and feast gear, and hopefully
martial lending gear.

*Related; Communication has been sent to Zygmunt and William regarding what
martial gear is available to loan, with the idea that this will also be
listed in said document*

*Miscellaneous*

*Assessment of “Chatelaine box” and state of brochures and pamphlets.

*Change of profile picture in the SCA newcomers pamphlet to reflect current
office holder.. Follow up will be petition for funds for printing of
material.

*Met with TE of Cynnabar about goals pertaining to the Office and how to
grow membership and prestige of the Barony.

*Informal poll about ideas regarding new events which may increase
membership and prestige of the Barony. Follow up will be the petition of
new events.

*Informal discussion regarding incidents of “bad behaviour” towards women
and other minority groups in the SCA. Follow up will include email to TE of
Cynnabar and the creation of “Awareness and  Intervention” training
packets, which would possibly be a pre-Meeting workshop or further.

*Webminister (Aaron) *

Officers and others responsible for various activities on the web site can
get access to edit their pages.

If there are any changes needed, please let me know directly, ideally by
email. My goal is to respond within two days; if people don't hear back
they should feel free to contact me again.

*Min. Youth (OPEN) – *

*Seneschal (Derian)* – Kay and I both submitted quarterly reports.  I still
need to become a signer on the Baronial bank account (SCA paperwork
submitted), Ilse and I need to find a time to meet together at the bank.

Kay – She knows the name of an officer at the bank at which our account is
at.

*Baron and Baroness (Kasha and Ermenrich)* –

We continue with our full swing of summer.  This weekend we’ll be at KA&S /
crown, hope to see you there.  Next is a week off, then NOWM / and a bunch
of other events to follow.  Looking forward to a busy schedule!  Pennsic is
coming SOON.  Large banners for camp & benches are in the works.

*Other Announcements*

Gray will be day tripping KA&S on Saturday, if you want a ride, contact him.

Pennsic, preregister early and often, some significant changes to our land
observed at Aethelmearc war practice.  It’s not time to panic.  Research
continues, they are working on know what the changes mean.  DO NOT PANIC.
Permanent fence has been installed between coopers and us, they created RV
spaces near the handicapped area.

Archery season is in full swing at forester Dillon’s, royal round scores
being submitted, archery may indeed happen this weekend weather permitting.

We are still a Barony!

Meeting ended at _8:11 PM _

Post business meeting hanging out continued at Cultivate!